Atomic collisions must be elastic?

In summary: Inelastic collisions between atoms with different principal quantum numbers may be a reality after all.In summary, the collision between two ground state hydrogen atoms is elastic and results in the conservation of momentum.
gmark

Homework Statement

Ground-state hydrogen atom with 12 ev kinetic energy collides head-on with another ground-state hydrogen atom at rest. Using principles of conservation of energy and momentum, show that an inelastic collision cannot occur. Therefore the collision must be elastic.

Homework Equations

Sum of energy before equals sum of energy after
Vector sum of momentum before equals vector sum of momentum after

The Attempt at a Solution

If the collision is inelastic, then the total kinetic energy after the collision will be less than it was before. Conservation of energy requires that the atoms absorb some of the initial kinetic energy and change their internal state.

Conservation of momentum requires that the vector sum of velocities be unchanged by the collision (masses cancelling out). There is no way for this to occur, as I see it, if the total kinetic energy has been reduced by an inelastic collision. Therefore the collision must be elastic.

This logic seems to say that all collisions between like atoms are elastic. Correct? Regardless of the initial kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, gmark. Welcome to PF!
gmark said:
Conservation of momentum requires that the vector sum of velocities be unchanged by the collision (masses cancelling out). There is no way for this to occur, as I see it, if the total kinetic energy has been reduced by an inelastic collision. Therefore the collision must be elastic.

This logic seems to say that all collisions between like atoms are elastic. Correct? Regardless of the initial kinetic energy?

I don't think your conclusion is correct. Did you actually go through the math to show that in this problem the collision must be elastic?

TSny embarrasses me into working out the math. I find that my hand-waving was wrong. Inelastic collision is possible if at least half of the initial kinetic energy remains as kinetic energy after the collision. That is, up to half the initial K can change the atom's internal state if appropriate quantum levels are available.

Here's my math. Subscripts or superscripts indicate post-collision values, plain symbols are for pre-collision. Velocity is treated as scalar, since all motion is along a line.
v is velocity
m is atomic mass
K is kinetic energy

In a fully elastic collision, particles essentially exchange momenta. K = K'. At any time except during impact one particle or the other has zero velocity. In at least some inelastic collisions (eg bullet and ballistic pendulum), both particles have non-zero velocities after collision.

Conservation of momentum:
mv = m(v1 + v2)
so v = v1 + v2

Before collision:
K = 1/2(mv2) = 1/2(m(v1 + v2)2)

After:
K' = 1/2(m(v12 + v22))

This gives

v12 - v*v1 + (K - K')/m = 0

where v = √(2K/m)

Values of v1 are real for K' ≥ K/2, so inelastic collisions are possible provided less than half of the initial kinetic energy is "lost."

What is the answer to the original problem then? K = 12 eV.

The answer is that this collision must be elastic. The least amount of energy that a stationary ground-state H atom can absorb is 10.2ev, to change the principal quantum number n from 1 (-13.6ev) to 2 (-3.4ev). Such a change would result in a residual K' = 12.0 - 10.2 = 1.8ev, which is less than K/2. This particular inelastic collision could not occur.

The answer is also that inelastic atomic collisions are possible under certain conditions, contrary to my original conclusion that they cannot take place at all.

Very well.

Note, however, that there are smaller quantum effects, which are known as fine and hyperfine structures, where very tiny fluctuations of energy are possible.

Related to Atomic collisions must be elastic?

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two particles or objects where both the total kinetic energy and the total momentum are conserved. This means that the particles bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

2. Why must atomic collisions be elastic?

Atomic collisions must be elastic because atoms are extremely small and complex structures. If collisions were inelastic and energy was lost, it could potentially cause the atoms to break apart or change their properties, which would greatly affect the results of experiments and the understanding of atomic behavior.

3. How are elastic collisions different from inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions involve no loss of energy, while inelastic collisions result in some energy being lost in the form of heat or sound. Inelastic collisions also typically involve a change in the objects' internal energy or structure, whereas elastic collisions do not.

4. What factors affect the elastic collision between atoms?

The elastic collision between atoms can be affected by factors such as the mass and velocity of the atoms, the angle of collision, and the properties of the atoms such as their charge and size. These factors can determine the outcome of the collision and whether it is elastic or inelastic.

5. What are some real-world applications of elastic collisions between atoms?

Elastic collisions between atoms are essential in various fields, such as material science, nuclear physics, and chemistry. They are used in experiments to study the properties of atoms and to create new materials. They are also crucial in the operation of particle accelerators, where atoms collide at high speeds to produce new particles.