Atom Comparison: 3s Orbital Proximity to Nucleus in Br, Cl, At, and I

In summary, the conversation is discussing the 3s orbital in various atoms and the strength of electrostatic attraction between the nucleus and electron. The question being asked is which of the given atoms (Br, Cl, At, I) has the 3s orbital closest to the nucleus. The answer is determined to be At due to the strongest attraction between the nucleus and electron.
Miike012

Homework Statement

The question is..
In which of the following atoms is the 3s orbital closet to the nuclues...
Br,Cl,At,I

first off how are those atoms in the 3s orbital? I thought the 3s orbital where Na and Mg?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such things as "atom in 3s orbital".

Every atom HAS a 3s orbital, it is just not always filled.

In this case distance is a function of electrostatic attraction between nucleus and electron.

Ok, so in your opinion what is the answer to this question?

At over 300 posts you should already know nobody is going to answer the question for you.

What are nucleus charges in each case? Where is the attraction strongest?

The attraction is strongest in At.

So...?

so the orbital in the At atom is closet to the nucl.

Wasn't that hard.

Are you kidding me, my bain needs a break.

Related to Atom Comparison: 3s Orbital Proximity to Nucleus in Br, Cl, At, and I

What is an orbital?

An orbital is a region of space around an atomic nucleus where there is a high probability of finding an electron.

What is the difference between an s orbital and a p orbital?

An s orbital is a spherical shape and can hold a maximum of 2 electrons, while a p orbital is dumbbell-shaped and can hold a maximum of 6 electrons.

How do electrons fill orbitals?

Electrons fill orbitals in order of increasing energy, starting with the lowest energy level and moving up to higher energy levels.

What is the significance of the Pauli exclusion principle?

The Pauli exclusion principle states that no two electrons in an atom can have the same set of quantum numbers, meaning they must have opposite spins. This principle helps to explain the unique arrangement of electrons in atoms.

What is the relationship between energy levels and orbitals?

Energy levels correspond to the different shells of an atom, while orbitals correspond to the subshells within those shells. Each subshell has a different energy level, with the s subshell being the lowest and the f subshell being the highest.