Atom and Electron Cloud Alignment

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of aligning an atom's electron cloud-orbit to one side of an electron, and the different methods that could potentially achieve this. These methods include the use of magnetic and/or electromagnetic fields, phonon vibration adjustments, and chemical bonding via hybridization. The conversation also mentions the concept of polarizability and provides examples of molecules with directional orbitals.
GoldenAtlantis
I was wondering if there is a way to align an atoms electron cloud-orbit/probability of location to one side of an electron. For example the probability of the electron being on the closet side or being in a regular area at a regular time. i.e. regular orbit area, and or keeping the electrons on one side of the atom.

If magnetic and/or electromagnetic how strong would the field have to be for a metal plate of copper (any solid) (atom proton with MRI of .2-3 T)?
Phonon vibration adjustments (guessing)?
Any other way that the orbit/cloud could be adjusted?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question isn't very clear but it appears you might want to look up the term polarizability.

Chemical bonding also alters the spherical charge distribution of an isolated atom. For example, in ammonia (NH3) there is all kinds of evidence to show that the hydrogens are pointed toward the base of a tetrahedron, the nitrogen is near the center, and a so-called lone pair of electrons points straight up. It is known that ammonia undergoes inversion, wherein the arrangement is inverted. Vast numbers of other examples are known.
-Jim

Thanks For the information

I will look into these suggestions. Any other informatin or cites that I can look up would be great. Thanks.

Any college freshman chemistry text will have detailed and elementary description of hybridization. Incidentally, I remember a Physical Chemistry lab excercise was to measure the polarizability of a molecule. It uses an alternating electric field.
-Jim

GoldenAtlantis said:
I was wondering if there is a way to align an atoms electron cloud-orbit/probability of location to one side of an electron. For example the probability of the electron being on the closet side or being in a regular area at a regular time. i.e. regular orbit area, and or keeping the electrons on one side of the atom.

If magnetic and/or electromagnetic how strong would the field have to be for a metal plate of copper (any solid) (atom proton with MRI of .2-3 T)?
Phonon vibration adjustments (guessing)?
Any other way that the orbit/cloud could be adjusted?

Thanks

The magnetic field would only align the proton's and electron's magnetic moments along the field lines, as is done in NMR or MRI. The phonon vibration involves the molecule itself and is a low energy vibration. Electrons will behave as springs in this treatment.

The only effective way to alter the shape of a spherically-uniform electron cloud around the atom is to rehybridize the obital with one or more directional orbitals. The nitrogen example has been given. An example of a directional orbital for nitrogen that does not undergo inversion is pyridine.

Perhaps you are thinking of promoting electrons in semiconductors from valence bands into conduction bands?

Related to Atom and Electron Cloud Alignment

1. What is the significance of atom and electron cloud alignment?

The alignment of atoms and electron clouds is important because it determines the physical and chemical properties of a substance. It affects how atoms interact with each other and with other substances, which ultimately determines their behavior and reactivity.

2. How is atom and electron cloud alignment determined?

The alignment of atoms and electron clouds is determined by the arrangement of electrons around the nucleus of an atom. This arrangement is influenced by the number of electrons, their energy levels, and the forces between them.

3. Can atom and electron cloud alignment change?

Yes, atom and electron cloud alignment can change due to various factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical reactions. These changes can alter the properties and behavior of a substance.

4. How does atom and electron cloud alignment affect the physical properties of a substance?

The alignment of atoms and electron clouds affects the physical properties of a substance such as melting point, boiling point, density, and conductivity. These properties are determined by the arrangement and interactions of atoms and electrons.

5. What role does electron cloud alignment play in chemical reactions?

Electron cloud alignment is crucial in chemical reactions as it determines the ability of atoms to form bonds with other atoms. The alignment of electron clouds can either facilitate or hinder the formation of chemical bonds, which ultimately affects the reactivity of a substance.