Atmospheric Physics: Max Env. Lapse Rate of Unsaturated Air Layer

In summary, the question asks about calculating the maximum possible environmental lapse rate for a layer of unsaturated air that sinks and is compressed, resulting in a subsidence inversion. The equation used is \Gammad=9.8 Kkm^-1 for adiabatic lapse rate and dT/dz=lapse rate for temperature in Kelvin and altitude in km. The answer is obtained by comparing the adiabatic lapse rate with the environmental lapse rate, and the maximum is found to be 7.72K km^-1 assuming a uniform distribution.
TobyDarkeness

Homework Statement

Consider a layer of unsaturated air on Earth, 2000 m thick, whose base is at a height of 4000 m above sea level. The layer sinks and is compressed till its base is at 350 m and its top is at 1650 m. If the layer now provides a subsidence inversion, calculate the maximum possible environmental lapse rate for the layer in its original position (assuming the layer to have a uniform environmental lapse rate).

Homework Equations

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]d=9.8 Kkm^-1 adiabatic lapse rate
this must be smaller than the environmental lapse rate for stability
dT/dz=lapse rate T is temp in Kelvin, z is altitude in km

The Attempt at a Solution

To my thinking, the environmental lapse rate must be smaller than adiabatic for subsidence inversion to remain stable, so using 9.8 Kkm^-1 I can obtain the dT of the air parcels.
so for the top air parcel 2km 19.6K and for 1.3km(bottom parcel) 12.74K.
using these temperatures and the total altitude change of 6km for the large parcel and 1.65km for the smaller parcel I find that the max is 7.72K km^-1, assuming uniform distribution. I obtain 7.72 from 12.74/1.65km. Both answers are smaller than 9.8 so are consistant, i have simply picked the larger number as the maximum is required.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
TobyDarkeness said:

Homework Statement

Consider a layer of unsaturated air on Earth, 2000 m thick, whose base is at a height of 4000 m above sea level. The layer sinks and is compressed till its base is at 350 m and its top is at 1650 m. If the layer now provides a subsidence inversion, calculate the maximum possible environmental lapse rate for the layer in its original position (assuming the layer to have a uniform environmental lapse rate).

Homework Equations

[itex]\Gamma[/itex]d=9.8 Kkm^-1 adiabatic lapse rate
this must be smaller than the environmental lapse rate for stability
dT/dz=lapse rate T is temp in Kelvin, z is altitude in km

The Attempt at a Solution

To my thinking, the environmental lapse rate must be smaller than adiabatic for subsidence inversion to remain stable, so using 9.8 Kkm^-1 I can obtain the dT of the air parcels.
so for the top air parcel 2km 19.6K and for 1.3km(bottom parcel) 12.74K.
using these temperatures and the total altitude change of 6km for the large parcel and 1.65km for the smaller parcel I find that the max is 7.72K km^-1, assuming uniform distribution. I obtain 7.72 from 12.74/1.65km. Both answers are smaller than 9.8 so are consistant, i have simply picked the larger number as the maximum is required.

Is this correct?
Hi Toby, did you manage to solve this as I have the same question :)

Related to Atmospheric Physics: Max Env. Lapse Rate of Unsaturated Air Layer

1. What is the maximum environmental lapse rate of an unsaturated air layer?

The maximum environmental lapse rate of an unsaturated air layer is approximately 9.8°C per kilometer. This means that for every kilometer increase in altitude, the temperature of the air will decrease by 9.8°C. This is known as the dry adiabatic lapse rate.

2. How does the maximum environmental lapse rate of an unsaturated air layer affect weather patterns?

The maximum environmental lapse rate of an unsaturated air layer plays a crucial role in determining weather patterns. When the air is unstable and the lapse rate is higher than the dry adiabatic lapse rate, it can lead to the formation of thunderstorms and other severe weather events. On the other hand, when the lapse rate is lower than the dry adiabatic lapse rate, the air is stable and there is less chance of precipitation.

3. What factors can influence the maximum environmental lapse rate of an unsaturated air layer?

The maximum environmental lapse rate of an unsaturated air layer can be influenced by various factors such as solar radiation, humidity, wind, and topography. These factors can affect the temperature and pressure of the air, which in turn can impact the lapse rate.

4. How does the maximum environmental lapse rate of an unsaturated air layer differ from the saturated adiabatic lapse rate?

The maximum environmental lapse rate of an unsaturated air layer refers to the rate of temperature change in a layer of air that is not saturated with water vapor. On the other hand, the saturated adiabatic lapse rate refers to the rate of temperature change in a layer of air that is saturated with water vapor. The maximum environmental lapse rate is higher than the saturated adiabatic lapse rate because water vapor acts as a natural insulator, limiting the rate of temperature change in a saturated air layer.

5. How can the maximum environmental lapse rate of an unsaturated air layer be calculated?

The maximum environmental lapse rate of an unsaturated air layer can be calculated using the dry adiabatic lapse rate formula: ΔT/Δz = g/cp, where ΔT is the change in temperature, Δz is the change in altitude, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and cp is the specific heat of air at constant pressure. This formula assumes that the air is dry and adiabatic, meaning there is no heat transfer between the air parcel and its surroundings.