Atmospheric Gases - absorption, reflection, and emission of radiation

In summary: However, there are also other physical mechanisms that contribute to a gas's reflective properties, such as resonance and dispersion.
ExcessRed
I'm going to be very careful to avoid the word "greenhouse" because of the indefinite ban on discussions about climate change - I want to be clear, this isn't a topic about that.

Part 1 - some gasses in the atmosphere absorb and emit radiation in the thermal infrared range. Gases like water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, etc. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the measure of how much radiation the gas absorbs and emits is called?

Part 2 - some gasses are more effective at reflecting solar radiation away from the Earth than other gases. What is the measure of how "reflective" a gas is, in this context?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
ExcessRed said:
I'm going to be very careful to avoid the word "greenhouse" because of the indefinite ban on discussions about climate change - I want to be clear, this isn't a topic about that.

Part 1 - some gasses in the atmosphere absorb and emit radiation in the thermal infrared range. Gases like water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, etc. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what the measure of how much radiation the gas absorbs and emits is called?

Part 2 - some gasses are more effective at reflecting solar radiation away from the Earth than other gases. What is the measure of how "reflective" a gas is, in this context?

1) The term you'll see a lot in the literature is 'radiative forcing' and its quantitative metric is watts per square metre (W/m^2).

2) Reflection in the general sense is qualified broadly as 'albedo', but I suspect you're after a more specific, physical mechanism. It's a tricky question, because there is more than one effect (e.g. resonance, dispersion) that requires a decent understanding of physics (which I'm afraid I don't have).

Part 1 - The measure of how much radiation a gas absorbs and emits is called its radiative forcing. This is typically expressed in Watts per square meter (W/m²).

Part 2 - The measure of how "reflective" a gas is in terms of reflecting solar radiation is called its albedo. This is a unitless measure ranging from 0 (no reflection) to 1 (complete reflection).

Related to Atmospheric Gases - absorption, reflection, and emission of radiation

What are atmospheric gases?

Atmospheric gases are the gases that make up Earth's atmosphere, including nitrogen, oxygen, carbon dioxide, and water vapor.

How do atmospheric gases absorb radiation?

Atmospheric gases absorb radiation through a process called molecular vibration, where molecules absorb the energy from radiation and vibrate at a higher frequency.

What is the role of atmospheric gases in reflection of radiation?

Atmospheric gases can also reflect radiation by scattering it in different directions. This helps to regulate the amount of radiation that enters and leaves Earth's atmosphere.

How do atmospheric gases contribute to the greenhouse effect?

Atmospheric gases, such as carbon dioxide and water vapor, act as greenhouse gases by absorbing and trapping heat in Earth's atmosphere. This helps to keep the planet warm enough for life to exist.

What factors influence the absorption, reflection, and emission of radiation by atmospheric gases?

The amount and type of atmospheric gases, as well as their concentration and location, can all impact the absorption, reflection, and emission of radiation in the atmosphere.