At what time will a star be seen from a place ?

• Thread starter Vibhor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star Time
In summary, the conversation is about a problem in an introductory physics text that the speaker is unfamiliar with. They ask for help and another person gives a hint about the North Star being visible every night in the same place and the Earth's rotation. The speaker then asks for clarification and the other person confirms that option d is correct, with a caveat about potential obstructions.
Vibhor

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=e0c687b59c0e0e9c6e5ee8abdf87a4ec.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Honestly speaking I have absolutely no idea about this problem . This is the first time I have seen a problem of this nature .I am not even sure which chapter of Intro Physics text does this problem belong to .

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with the problem .

Many thanks .

Attachments

• Question1.png
    Question1.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 301
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know but upon reading, this might give you a hint. "The North Star is visible every night in about the same place."

Sorry I didn't get your hint . Could you elaborate your response .

The Earth rotates... When does the green man see the star rising, later or sooner than the blue man does?
upload_2017-6-2_7-52-45.png

Likes Vibhor
OK .

20° longitude difference = 80 minutes

Option d)

Right ?

Vibhor said:
OK .

20° longitude difference = 80 minutes

Option d)

Right ?
I hope so. Supposing there are no big building or hills hiding the raising sun :)

Likes Vibhor
Thank you so much :smile: .

Related to At what time will a star be seen from a place ?

1. What determines the time at which a star will be seen from a specific place?

The time at which a star will be seen from a specific place is determined by the rotation of the Earth and the position of the star in relation to the observer's location.

2. Can the time at which a star will be seen be calculated accurately?

Yes, the time at which a star will be seen can be calculated accurately using astronomical tools and techniques such as star charts, celestial coordinates, and time zone adjustments.

3. Will the time at which a star will be seen vary from place to place?

Yes, the time at which a star will be seen can vary from place to place because of differences in time zones, latitude, and longitude. This is why the same star may appear at different times in different parts of the world.

4. How can I determine the specific time at which a particular star will be seen from my location?

You can determine the specific time at which a particular star will be seen from your location by using tools such as a star chart, a compass, and a clock. These tools will help you identify the position of the star in the sky and calculate the corresponding time in your time zone.

5. Is the time at which a star will be seen affected by the season or time of year?

Yes, the time at which a star will be seen can be affected by the season or time of year. This is because the Earth's tilt and its position in its orbit around the sun can affect the visibility of certain stars in the night sky.