At what time does the motorcycle overtake the car?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car and a motorcycle traveling along the same road and at what point the motorcycle will overtake the car. The discussion includes a graph of velocity over time for both vehicles and how the area under the graph represents distance traveled. The conversation also addresses the assumption that the car overtakes the stationary motorcycle and the use of different shapes under the graph to represent non-constant velocity. Finally, a quantitative solution is provided, with the conclusion that the official answer of 32.5 seconds is incorrect.
t_n_p

Homework Statement

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/9140/asdfjj6.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I've figured it out using a method I was previously taught, but it seems that according to the official answers, the motorcycle overtakes at 32.5seconds.

Here is what I did anyhow..

Motorcycle displacement = 100t - (850)
[The 850 came from the sum total of the triangle and the trapezium]

Car displacement = 80t - 650
[Similarly the 650 came from the sum total of the triangle and the trapezium]

Equating the two...
100t-850 = 80t-650
20t = 250
t = 12.5 seconds

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What triangle and what trapezium. What are the limits?

Not all information is given. When the motorcycle overtakes the car depends not only on velocity and acceleration, but also position/location.

Does the car pass the motorcycle, which then accelerates? If so, then both travel the same distance in the same amount of time, assuming they are traveling parallel.

The full question...

Graphs of velocity time are shown below for a car and motobike traveling along the same road. The car passes the stationary motorcycle at t=0.

the triangle and trapezium are the shapes under the graph where the velocity isn't constant.

I think one should assume that the car overtakes the stationary motorcycle. At the same time it pulls away.

Since you do not know during which stage the mc catches up with the c one will start by trying the triangle first and see if the the required time is less than 10 seconds. If it is more then you add the area of the triangle in as a constant and try the trapezium with a variable time. If it requires more than 5 seconds (!) you know you have to add it in as a constant and then progress with the rectangular tail area with a variable time until it catches up.

A more quantitative solution

I guess the actual question is stated in the title of the post which is at when does the motor catch the car? (I assume that the graph is made up of straight lines)

when you see a velocity time graph and a question of this type, you should immediately recall that the are under the graph gives you the distance travelled.

since they are at the same point at the beginnig, and the car is faster than the motor at t=0, and assuming thath they move on a straight line; they are exactly at the same point when the areas under the graphs are the same.

the area under the motor up to t=15 sec is
[(60*10)/2]+[(60+80)*5/2]+=650

the area under the car up to t=15 sec is
60*15=900

so the car is still ahead of the motor
the difference between the two is 900-650=250

the difference between the speeds of the two vehicles after t=15 is 80-60=20

because time=distance/velocity
250/20= 12,5 seconds

but there was another 15 sec that I excluded by subtracting the areas before. Therefore the answer is 12,5+15=27,5 seconds

PS: The reason I subtracted the areas up to t=15 sec was that the area(distance) of the motor did not increase at a constant rate.

PS #2: the reason I did not include any units of the distances was that the units on the graph were not consistent with each other (km/h and sec.).
But this does not make any difference because you are equating the areas. Dividing them by the same number (3,6 in this case) does not affect your results.

I am afraid that there has been something wrong with your official results, and it is not less than 10 sec. certainly

Last edited:

Related to At what time does the motorcycle overtake the car?

1. How do you calculate the time when the motorcycle overtakes the car?

The time when the motorcycle overtakes the car can be calculated by dividing the distance between them by the difference in their speeds. This will give you the time it takes for the motorcycle to catch up to the car.

2. What information is needed to determine the time of the overtake?

To determine the time when the motorcycle overtakes the car, you will need to know the initial distance between them, the speeds of both vehicles, and the acceleration of the motorcycle (if applicable).

3. Is it possible for the motorcycle to overtake the car at multiple times?

Yes, it is possible for the motorcycle to overtake the car at multiple times if the car's speed changes or if the motorcycle's acceleration changes during the course of the overtake.

4. Can there be scenarios where the motorcycle cannot overtake the car?

Yes, there can be scenarios where the motorcycle cannot overtake the car. For example, if the car is traveling at a constant speed that is faster than the motorcycle's maximum speed, the motorcycle will not be able to catch up to the car.

5. How can the concept of relative motion be applied to determine the time of the overtake?

The concept of relative motion can be used to determine the time when the motorcycle overtakes the car by considering the motion of each vehicle with respect to a stationary observer. By comparing the velocities and positions of the two vehicles, the time of the overtake can be calculated.