At what time do two particles meet: factoring a polynomial.

In summary, two particles are moving along the x-axis with different positions and accelerations. To find the time when their velocities match, the equations for their velocities are set equal to each other and solved using the quadratic formula. The time is then used to find the velocity at which the particles meet.
DavidAp
Two particles move along the x-axis.
Particle one has the position x = 8t^2 + 7t + 2
Particle two has the acceleration a = -8t, and when t=0 v=23.
When the velocity of the particles match what is their velocity?

I thought of approaching this problem by changing both equations into the equations of velocity and setting them equal to each other to find the time in which their velocities match. Then I'll plug in the time into one of the two equations to find the velocity of when they meet.
---------------------------

Particle One:
8t^2 +7t +2 (d/dx) =
16t + 7 = v

----------------------------

Particle Two:
(integral) -8t =
-4t^2 + c = v

Since v=23 when t=0,
-4(0)^2 + c = 23
c = 23

So,
-4t^2 + 23 = v

---------------------------

Now when I set them equal to each other,
16t + 7 = -4t^2 + 23
4t^2 + 16t - 16 = 0
t^2 + 4t - 4

Now this is where I get stuck. I don't know how to solve this polynomial and therefore cannot find at what time the two particles have the same acceleration. Can somebody help me factor this! Am I not suppose to factor this, did I do something wrong?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my question.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the quadratic formula.

The quadratic formula? Wow, I forgot all about that...

*math math*

It works! Amazing! I feel so silly now for have asking this!
Thank you so much!

Related to At what time do two particles meet: factoring a polynomial.

What is factoring a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial is the process of breaking down a polynomial expression into its simplest form by finding its factors.

What are the steps involved in factoring a polynomial?

The steps involved in factoring a polynomial include identifying the terms, finding the greatest common factor, factoring by grouping, and using special formulas such as the difference of squares or the sum/difference of cubes.

Why is factoring a polynomial important?

Factoring a polynomial is important because it allows us to simplify complex expressions, solve equations, and find the zeros or x-intercepts of a polynomial function. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of polynomials.

What is the difference between factoring a polynomial and solving a polynomial equation?

Factoring a polynomial involves breaking it down into its simplest form, while solving a polynomial equation involves finding the values of the variable that make the equation true. Factoring is a method used to solve polynomial equations, but not all polynomial equations can be solved by factoring.

How does factoring a polynomial relate to particles meeting at a specific time?

Factoring a polynomial can be used to solve problems involving two particles meeting at a specific time. By setting the polynomial expression equal to zero and factoring it, we can find the values of the variable that represent the time when the particles meet.