At what scale is the charge of an electron -2e?

In summary, at the energy scale of the CMBR, the fine structure constant alpha=1/137. At Q=90 GeV, alpha=1/128. Find a Q at which alpha = 2/137. Then convert Q to distance scale. Thank you for the link, but I am having difficulties using the formula provided. When I plug the values you give I don't get the values you give.
utesfan100
The charge of an electron is -e in energy scales well into the atomic scale. At infinitesimal scales it becomes infinite. This relation must be continuous for re-normalization to work, thus the intermediate value theorem asserts that it attains all values between at some energy level. I want to determine the scale at which the charge is observed to be -2e.

This should only involve a few highest order terms. Where can I find the highest order perturbation terms for the charge of an electron as the energy scale increases/length scale decreases?

Physics news on Phys.org
utesfan100 said:
At infinitesimal scales it becomes infinite.
Where did you read that, and what does that mean?

The coupling strength, not the charge, is scale-dependent, but it does not get infinite below the Planck scale. And we know our physics doesn't work beyond that.

To contextualize your answer I am picturing something like

bare charge = coupling strength * e

in the limit where the length scale goes to infinity.

At what scale, then, is the coupling strength 2?

Thank you for the link, but I am having difficulties using the formula provided. When I plug the values you give I don't get the values you give. The formula given is:

α1=α/[1-α/(3π)*log(Q^2/me^2)]

In particular, the log of 0 diverges to -infinity, so at 0 the formula goes to positive 0. That said, it gives a value of 1/138.3 at the energy scale of the CMBR, so it diverges very slowly, and exactly 1/137 at the energy scale of the rest mass of an electron times c^2.

At Q=90GeV≈180,000*me*c^2, I don't get 1/128.

log(180,000^2)=10.51
a/(3π)*10.51=0.00814
1-0.00814=0.99186
1/137/0.99186=1/135.9 ≠ 1/128

Even interpreting the log as ln, as some web references occasionally use, only gets me to 1/134.4.

The 128 looks like an error. Compare it with this plot, which agrees with 1/134.4=0.00744, but is clearly inconsistent with 1/128=0.00781.

Natural logarithm.

Thank you. So then, solving for Q in terms of α1/α I get:

Q=me*e^[3π/α*(α1/α-1)]≈me*e^[645.6*(α1/α-1)]

For α1/α=2 I get 2E+280me. This appears to answer my question. :)

Before leaving I have two quick follow ups.
1) This is significantly larger than the plank energy. Would I be wrong to think that higher order terms certainly appear before then?
2) What is a Z-pole?

utesfan100 said:
1) This is significantly larger than the plank energy. Would I be wrong to think that higher order terms certainly appear before then?
They should follow the square, cube, ... of α/(3π)*log(Q^2/me^2) with some different numerical prefactor. Below the Planck scale, this term is much smaller than one, so higher orders should be smaller.
utesfan100 said:
2) What is a Z-pole?
The pole mass of the Z, roughly 90 GeV.

utesfan100 said:
Would I be wrong to think that higher order terms certainly appear before then?

QED essentially stops being a useful description of the interaction when energy scale gets significantly larger than Higgs vacuum energy. At those scales, SU(2)xU(1) weak isospin/weak hypercharge is a better description, and you need to concern yourself with their constants and their running, not fine structure constant's running.

Your question, thus, was a theoretical one, about the imaginary Universe where QED is the actual interaction, not a low-energy limit of weak force.

Related to At what scale is the charge of an electron -2e?

1. What is the scale of the charge of an electron?

The charge of an electron is typically expressed in units of coulombs (C). The charge of an electron is -1.602 x 10^-19 C, which means it is a very small charge.

2. How is the charge of an electron measured?

The charge of an electron can be measured using an instrument called an electron charge balance. This instrument uses the force between two charged objects to determine the charge of an electron.

3. Why is the charge of an electron negative?

The charge of an electron is negative because electrons are negatively charged particles. In an atom, electrons orbit around the positively charged nucleus, resulting in an overall negative charge for the atom.

4. Does the charge of an electron ever change?

No, the charge of an electron is considered a fundamental constant and is believed to never change. However, there are some theories that suggest the charge of an electron may change under extreme conditions, but this has not been proven.

5. Is the charge of an electron the same everywhere?

Yes, the charge of an electron is a constant value and is the same everywhere in the universe. This is known as the principle of charge conservation, which states that the total charge in a closed system must remain constant.