At what flow rate will water be pushed through a hole in a dam?

In summary, the volumetric flow rate of water through a 1 ft tapered round hole in a 5 ft thick dam wall at a depth of 34 ft is dependent on the viscosity of the water and the pressure generated by the water at that depth. The energy equation can be used to estimate the velocity of the emerging jet, but the actual volumetric flow will be less due to the cross-sectional area of the jet being smaller than the area of the hole. The use of a mouthpiece can increase the flow rate by directing the fluid more efficiently into the hole. The ideal shape for a mouthpiece is not specified.
rcoopster
If I have a 1 ft tapered round hole through a 5 ft thick dam wall at 34 ft deep as shown in the attached diagram, how fast or at what volumetric flow rate will the pressure at that level push the water through the hole?

I know that the answer will depend upon the viscosity of the water and the pressure generated by the 34 ft of water, but I can't seem to find a formula that calculates what I feel to be a reasonable answer.

Thanks,

Rcoopster

Attachments

• Flow Diagram.png
    Flow Diagram.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 601
Physics news on Phys.org
You'd normally be expected to do this by conservation of energy.

If the hole is of sufficient length to be considered a short pipe instead then you'd also need the formulas for viscous flow and the difference in pressure each side.

These are pretty standard so this description should point you in the right direction.

The energy equation will give a reasonable estimate of the velocity of the emerging jet (Torricelli's Theorem: v2 = 2gh). But it doesn't tell you the volumetric flow. This is because the cross-sectional area of the jet (at its narrowest) is typically less than the area of the hole. For a circular hole in a thin wall the ratio is about 0.62. For a thicker wall it can drop to 0.5. You can increase the flow rate for a given external hole size by attaching a suitably shaped mouthpiece to the inside of the tank. This helps funnel the fluid more efficiently into the hole.
(I always thought the ideal funnel shape was known as a Borda mouthpiece, but looking it up now I see that this is a general term for a tube attached to the inside of the hole, and is usually considered to be cylindrical. E.g. http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/tech/fluids/bernoul.htm. I haven't found anything on the net re the ideal shape.)

Related to At what flow rate will water be pushed through a hole in a dam?

1. How is the flow rate of water through a dam calculated?

The flow rate of water through a dam is calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the hole by the velocity of the water as it passes through the hole.

2. What factors affect the flow rate of water through a dam?

The flow rate of water through a dam can be affected by the size and shape of the hole, the height of the water above the hole, and the amount of water being held back by the dam.

3. Is there a maximum flow rate that a dam can handle?

Yes, there is a maximum flow rate that a dam can handle. This is known as the spillway capacity and is determined by the design and strength of the dam.

4. How does the flow rate of water through a dam impact the surrounding environment?

The flow rate of water through a dam can have a significant impact on the surrounding environment. It can affect the ecosystem, water quality, and even the water level in downstream areas.

5. Can the flow rate of water through a dam be controlled?

Yes, the flow rate of water through a dam can be controlled through the use of gates, valves, and other mechanisms. This allows for the regulation of water levels and flow rates to meet the needs of the surrounding area.