AT-AT Model V2.0: Improved Design and Detailing in Blender

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary: He credits the existence of modern video and computer video editing techniques for making things faster and cheaper.Teller has credited their being able to produce the movie "Tim's Vermeer" (2013) to the existence of modern video and computer video editing techniques.
Janus
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A bit over two years ago I began using Blender on a more regular basis for doing 3-D modeling.
One of the first models I did was of an AT-AT from the Star Wars movies. This is the result:

at-at2.png

In the time since, I've honed my skills some, learned a bit more about Blender, and picked up a couple of tricks. So I decided to revisit the AT-AT.

This resulted in version 2.0:

atat_cycles_1png.png

The "cannon bolt" was added with the compositing feature In Blender.

Since I also added some extra detailing to this model that is not visible in this view, I rendered a additional camera angle for the model:

atat_cycles_2.png

Now, I am obviously biased, but in my own humble opinion, version 2.0 is a marked improvement over version 1.0

• Love
Likes jim mcnamara, dlgoff, Ibix and 5 others
Science news on Phys.org
Today’s software tools are so awesome when in the hands of a master artist. Thanks for sharing your work!

Likes dlgoff
One shortcoming to my original render is that the model did not lend itself to animation (When I made it, i hadn't yet delved into that aspect of Blender).
With version 2.0, I took this in mind. Thus this model can be "posed" to create animation frames, as demonstrated by this short video clip:
https://youtu.be/naaj8OC0VY0

Likes Ibix
Having purchased a new, faster computer since my last post on this thread, I once again re-visited this model, focusing on the animation. The reduced frame render times made creating a longer video something I was more tempted to give a go. This particular one makes use of the same AT-AT animation set up, but simply rendered with different "camera angles". I also included some animation clips of a snow-speeder model I already had done.
Another excuse for doing this was to get a feel for the video editor that comes with Blender. Prior to this, I'd render the frames with Blender, assemble them into a AVI video file with one piece of software, then export this to another which allowed me to add a soundtrack( which I has assembled with yet another software package.) it was a bit of a hassle, particularly with getting the sound and video sync.

Blender's video editor has made this a lot easier, and makes me wish I had started using it sooner.
It allows you to set down multiple sound tracks, which can be cut, moved, etc. The volume and pitch can also be altered using the same key frame method used for animation. Thus using just one single constant sound clip for the Snow-speeder, I was able to create a fly-by effect without ever leaving Blender.

In addition, Blender allows for a more seamless scene transition effect. With the video editor I was using before, you could do a fade-in and fade-out, but it only made the transition from still frame to still frame. Blender let's you fade from scene to scene with the animation from both scenes running during the transition.

So, without further ado, here's what I came up with. Not exactly a fully fleshed-out battle for Hoth, but a start.

• Love
Likes berkeman, Keith_McClary, DennisN and 1 other person
That’s sweet!

Its only a matter of time before I die film means someone spins off a full fledged movie on his/her personal computer.

jedishrfu said:
That’s sweet!

Its only a matter of time before I die film means someone spins off a full fledged movie on his/her personal computer.
It wouldn't have been too long ago, that if someone had told me that someday I would be able to do something like this at home, on my own computer, with free software, I would not have believed it.

Likes jedishrfu and BillTre
Teller of Penn and Teller has credited their being able to produce the movie "Tim's Vermeer" (2013) to the existence of modern video and computer video editing techniques.
It has made things faster and cheaper.
Here is a discussion of the film's making. Teller speaks!

Likes jedishrfu
BillTre said:
Teller speaks!
I've spoken to Teller.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes jedishrfu and BillTre
Vanadium 50 said:
I've spoken to Teller.
Did he talk back?

• Love
Likes Vanadium 50
He did. In Latin. One of the very few times I spoke it outside a classroom.

Likes BillTre

Related to AT-AT Model V2.0: Improved Design and Detailing in Blender

1. What is the purpose of creating an improved AT-AT model in Blender?

The purpose of creating an improved AT-AT model in Blender is to enhance the level of detail and accuracy in the design, making it more realistic and visually appealing for use in various projects such as animation, gaming, and visual effects.

2. How is the AT-AT model V2.0 different from the previous version?

The AT-AT model V2.0 features improved detailing, including more accurate proportions and textures, as well as enhanced articulation for more realistic movement. It also includes new features such as a cockpit interior and improved leg joints for better stability.

3. What techniques were used to create the improved AT-AT model in Blender?

The improved AT-AT model in Blender was created using a combination of traditional modeling techniques and advanced tools such as sculpting and texture painting. The model was also meticulously researched and referenced from various sources to ensure accuracy.

4. Can the AT-AT model V2.0 be used in other 3D software programs?

Yes, the AT-AT model V2.0 can be exported and used in other 3D software programs as it is created in a universal file format. However, some features and detailing may vary depending on the capabilities of the software being used.

5. Can the AT-AT model V2.0 be customized or modified for specific projects?

Yes, the AT-AT model V2.0 can be customized or modified in Blender to suit specific project needs. The model is fully editable and can be adjusted in terms of size, textures, and articulation to fit various scenes and scenarios.