Asymptote of a curve in polar coordinates

The curve approaches the line ##y=1## from above as ##\theta## approaches 0, and it approaches the line from below as ##\theta## approaches ##2\pi##.
Faiq

Homework Statement

The curve ##C## has polar equation ## r\theta =1 ## for ## 0<\theta<2\pi##

Use the fact that ## \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0}\frac{sin \theta }{\theta }=1## to show the line ## y=1## is an asymptote to ## C##.

The Attempt at a Solution

**Attempt**

$$\ r\theta =1$$
$$\ y\frac{\theta}{\sin \theta} =1$$
$$\ y=\frac{\sin\theta}{ \theta} $$
$$\ \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0}y= \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0}\frac{sin \theta }{\theta }=1 $$

I understood the concept behind how this asymptote is calculated, but I am not very fluent in mathematics to convert the above information into a comprehensive proof.

Moreover, there is another statement that states that I have to make use of the information ## \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0}x=+\infty##.
Although I get the basic idea that for the line ##y=1## to be an asymptote, it should continue until x goes to infinity, I am not sure how is this ## \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0}x=+\infty## derived (why not negative infinity ?)* and not even sure how to add it in the proof. And lastly, why is proving this information necessary?

Can someone sort my confusions out?

A little context for my confusion*

If I approach ## \theta## from negative side I get negative infinity, if from positive side I get positive infinity since ## \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0^\pm}x= \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0^\pm}\frac{\cos \theta }{\theta } =\pm \infty##. So why are we just using positive infinity over here? Is it because of the positive range? If yes, what if the provided range was ## -2\pi<\theta<2\pi##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Faiq said:
**Attempt**
Hi Faiq:

I think there is a step missing in your proof. What is the relationship among: y, r, and θ?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Faiq said:

Homework Statement

The curve ##C## has polar equation ## r\theta =1 ## for ## 0<\theta<2\pi##

Use the fact that ## \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0}\frac{sin \theta }{\theta }=1## to show the line ## y=1## is an asymptote to ## C##.

The Attempt at a Solution

**Attempt**

$$\ r\theta =1$$
$$\ y\frac{\theta}{\sin \theta} =1$$
$$\ y=\frac{\sin\theta}{ \theta} $$
$$\ \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0}y= \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0}\frac{sin \theta }{\theta }=1 $$

I understood the concept behind how this asymptote is calculated, but I am not very fluent in mathematics to convert the above information into a comprehensive proof.
Your work above looks OK to me to show that ##\lim_{\theta \to 0} y = 1##
Faiq said:
Moreover, there is another statement that states that I have to make use of the information ## \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0}x=+\infty##.
Although I get the basic idea that for the line ##y=1## to be an asymptote, it should continue until x goes to infinity, I am not sure how is this ## \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0}x=+\infty## derived (why not negative infinity ?)* and not even sure how to add it in the proof. And lastly, why is proving this information necessary?

Can someone sort my confusions out?
You are given that ##0 < \theta < 2\pi##, which has an effect on what you get for ##\lim_{\theta \to 0} x##. Use a strategy similar to the one you used to find a horizontal asymptote.
Faiq said:
A little context for my confusion*

If I approach ## \theta## from negative side I get negative infinity, if from positive side I get positive infinity since ## \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0^\pm}x= \lim_{\theta \rightarrow 0^\pm}\frac{\cos \theta }{\theta } =\pm \infty##. So why are we just using positive infinity over here? Is it because of the positive range? If yes, what if the provided range was ## -2\pi<\theta<2\pi##?

Mark44 said:
You are given that 0<θ<2π0<θ<2π0 < \theta < 2\pi, which has an effect on what you get for limθ→0xlimθ→0x\lim_{\theta \to 0} x. Use a strategy similar to the one you used to find a horizontal asymptote.
Is this correct ?
$$\ x= \frac{\cos θ}{θ} $$
$$\ \lim_{θ→0}x= \lim_{θ→0} \frac{\cos θ}{θ}= +\infty $$
Can you also answer me what was I supposed to do if provided range was ##−2π<θ<2π## instead of ##0<θ<2π## ?

Faiq said:
Is this correct ?
$$\ x= \frac{\cos θ}{θ} $$
$$\ \lim_{θ→0}x= \lim_{θ→0} \frac{\cos θ}{θ}= +\infty $$
The last part should be ##\lim_{θ→0^+} \frac{\cos θ}{θ}= +\infty##, since ##0 < \theta < 2\pi##
Faiq said:
Can you also answer me what was I supposed to do if provided range was ##−2π<θ<2π## instead of ##0<θ<2π## ?
The the limit above wouldn't exist, because the left-hand and right-hand limits would be different.

Mark44 said:
The last part should be ##\lim_{θ→0^+} \frac{\cos θ}{θ}= +\infty##, since ##0 < \theta < 2\pi##
The the limit above wouldn't exist, because the left-hand and right-hand limits would be different.
Is it not possible to divide the range ##-2\pi <\theta< 2\pi## into ##-2\pi <\theta< 0## and ##0 <\theta< 2\pi##?
Because it is evident that no matter what the range is the asymptote will always be present.

Faiq said:
Is it not possible to divide the range ##-2\pi <\theta< 2\pi## into ##-2\pi <\theta< 0## and ##0 <\theta< 2\pi##?
On the given interval, ##0 <\theta< 2\pi##, ##\lim_{θ→0^+} \frac{\cos θ}{θ}= +\infty##.
On the other interval, ##-2\pi <\theta< 0##, ##\lim_{θ→0^-} \frac{\cos θ}{θ}= -\infty##.
Faiq said:
Because it is evident that no matter what the range is the asymptote will always be present.
No, because there are two asymptotes.

Related to Asymptote of a curve in polar coordinates

What is the definition of an asymptote in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, an asymptote is a straight line that the curve approaches but never touches, as the distance between the curve and the line approaches zero as the distance from the origin increases.

What is the equation for finding the asymptote of a polar curve?

The equation for finding the asymptote of a polar curve is θ = α, where θ is the angle of the asymptote and α is the angle of the polar equation.

How can you determine the slope of the asymptote in polar coordinates?

The slope of the asymptote in polar coordinates can be determined by taking the derivative of the polar equation and evaluating it at θ = α. This will give the slope of the tangent line to the curve at the point where it intersects the asymptote.

Can a polar curve have more than one asymptote?

Yes, a polar curve can have multiple asymptotes if its equation contains terms for different angles, such as r = θ + sin(θ).

What does it mean if a polar curve has no asymptote?

If a polar curve has no asymptote, it means that the curve either approaches a point or a circle as the distance from the origin increases. This can also occur if the curve is a closed loop, as it does not approach any straight line.