Asymmetry in the Doppler Effect for sound

In summary, it is technically possible to achieve infinite Doppler shift by moving the source and receiver infinitely fast through a medium. It is not possible to achieve infinite Doppler shift by moving the source and receiver at the same speed through a medium.
Cookiey
I'm a bit confused about this. So say there's an observer and a source of sound. If the observer moves towards the source of sound, the frequency seems to increase because he encounters more wavelengths in the same amount of time.

In a second case, if the source moved towards the observer, the wavelengths get sort of 'bunched up' and it makes the effective wavelength shorter, again increasing the frequency.

But even if their relative velocities are the same in both cases, the perceived frequency is different. My textbook (and the internet sources I looked at) didnt really explain this, though one place off handedly said it's because sound only propagates in a medium.

I get how it is numerically different. Can someone help me understand kind of quantitatively how it's different? And why the same doesn't occur for light waves (where both cases would give the same answer?)

Thanks for your help and time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you expect a symmetry? The sound travels in one direction through a medium, the situation is not symmetric.

Light in vacuum does not have a medium which would fix its relative speed. Light in air is similar to light in vacuum, but if you are fast enough it will show an asymmetry there as well.

mfb said:
Why do you expect a symmetry? The sound travels in one direction through a medium, the situation is not symmetric.

Light in vacuum does not have a medium which would fix its relative speed. Light in air is similar to light in vacuum, but if you are fast enough it will show an asymmetry there as well.

I don't understand why the presence of the medium makes it unsymmetric. Why isn't the speed perceived by an observer the only thing that matters?

Cookiey said:
I don't understand why the presence of the medium makes it unsymmetric. Why isn't the speed perceived by an observer the only thing that matters?

Consider the situation where the observer is moving away from the source. And, assume, faster than the speed of sound. No sound from the source reaches the observer.

But, if the source is moving away from the observer faster than the speed of sound, then the sound still travels towards the observer at the usual speed.

That's perhaps the ultimate asymmetry of the situation for sound.

PeroK said:
Consider the situation where the observer is moving away from the source. And, assume, faster than the speed of sound. No sound from the source reaches the observer.

The observer would still hear sound from the source, but in reverse order. An observer moving away from the source at twice the speed of sound would hear a musical piece in correct time and tune, but backwards.

Cookiey said:
Thanks for the link! I'm not done reading it yet, but still thanks.
You are welcome. It is one of my favorites, and I think addresses your concern pretty well.

Cookiey said:
I get how it is numerically different. Can someone help me understand kind of quantitatively how it's different?
Imagine you want to achieve infinite Doppler shift:
- How fast must the source move through the medium to compress the distance between wave crests to zero?
- How fast must the receiver move through uncompressed wave crest, to collapse the encounter period to zero?

Related to Asymmetry in the Doppler Effect for sound

1. What is the Doppler Effect for sound?

The Doppler Effect for sound is the perceived change in frequency of sound waves as a source of sound moves towards or away from an observer. This results in a perceived change in pitch of the sound.

2. How does asymmetry affect the Doppler Effect for sound?

Asymmetry in the Doppler Effect for sound occurs when the observer is not directly in line with the source of sound. This can result in a different perceived change in frequency and pitch, depending on the direction and speed of the source of sound.

3. What causes asymmetry in the Doppler Effect for sound?

Asymmetry in the Doppler Effect for sound can be caused by various factors such as the relative motion between the source of sound and observer, the angle at which the sound waves are emitted, and any obstructions or reflections that may alter the path of the sound waves.

4. How is the Doppler Effect for sound used in real life?

The Doppler Effect for sound has many practical applications, such as in weather forecasting where it is used to track the movement of storms and predict their intensity. It is also used in medical imaging, such as ultrasound, to measure blood flow and detect abnormalities.

5. Can the Doppler Effect for sound be observed in other types of waves?

Yes, the Doppler Effect can be observed in all types of waves, including light and water waves. In fact, the phenomenon was first described in relation to light waves by Austrian physicist Christian Doppler in 1842.