Astronomy Projects for 12th Grade Class

In summary, the conversation discussed ideas for research projects in a 12th grade astronomy class. The first semester focused on planets, with three projects on "Vagabonds of the solar system," "The moons of Jupiter and Saturn," and "Design a solar system mission." Now, the class is moving on to stars and galaxies, and the teacher is looking for similar research projects. Suggestions included exoplanet searches, celestial navigation techniques, the evolution of ideas about the universe, and experiments on dark energy. Ideas for projects on stellar end states, merging galaxies, and building a telescope were also offered.
nmsurobert
I teach a 12th grade astronomy class. First semester we spoke about the planets. I gave three research/group projects.
1. "Vagabonds of the solar system"
2. "The moons of Jupiter and Saturn"
3. "Design a solar system mission"

We are now moving on beyond the solar system. Stars, galaxies, and things of that nature. I would like to give them similar research projects this semester but I'm a little stuck. We are talking about types and lifetimes of stars right now. I don't want to simply assign them a star have them tell me about it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Likes berkeman
Science news on Phys.org
How fun. :smile: Just some ideas...
  • Something to do with Exoplanet searches and what kind of stars are the best candidates (and why)
  • Celestial navigation techniques and how they work -- If you had to go on a sailing trip without GPS, how would you find your way?
  • How has the idea of whether the Universe is Open or Closed evolved over time? Start with Hoyle's "continuous creation" (Steady State Model) ideas, and follow the evolution of ideas and experiments through to the present day
  • What experiments were conducted to arrive at the current theory of Dark Energy and the current value of Ω ? (BTW, this is fascinating and amazing research)

Likes nmsurobert
berkeman said:
How fun. :smile: Just some ideas...
  • Something to do with Exoplanet searches and what kind of stars are the best candidates (and why)
  • Celestial navigation techniques and how they work -- If you had to go on a sailing trip without GPS, how would you find your way?
  • How has the idea of whether the Universe is Open or Closed evolved over time? Start with Hoyle's "continuous creation" (Steady State Model) ideas, and follow the evolution of ideas and experiments through to the present day
  • What experiments were conducted to arrive at the current theory of Dark Energy and the current value of Ω ? (BTW, this is fascinating and amazing research)
Ah I like the first one. From here we're going to move on to exoplanets. I see what I can come up with using that idea. They're all good ideas though. I'll ponder over them and try to come up with something. Thanks!

Likes berkeman
nmsurobert said:
I teach a 12th grade astronomy class. First semester we spoke about the planets. I gave three research/group projects.
1. "Vagabonds of the solar system"
2. "The moons of Jupiter and Saturn"
3. "Design a solar system mission"

We are now moving on beyond the solar system. Stars, galaxies, and things of that nature. I would like to give them similar research projects this semester but I'm a little stuck. We are talking about types and lifetimes of stars right now. I don't want to simply assign them a star have them tell me about it. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Perhaps projects about stellar end states. I'm sure your students probably find black holes intriguing.

Likes nmsurobert and berkeman
vela said:
Perhaps projects about stellar end states. I'm sure your students probably find black holes intriguing.
yeeesssss they all want to talk about black holes and the movie Interstellar.

Great theme by @vela -- you could also assign a question to one of your most advanced groups of students, "Why do two black holes make a chirping sound when they collide and merge?" That leads into all kinds or research on LIGO and gravitational waves and data analysis and such. You can even poke at them some, with fun questions like, "I thought sound can't travel through a vacuum", and "How could scientists figure out which direction and how far away each collision/merger is?".

Last edited:
Likes nmsurobert
Show pictures of island galaxies like Magellan, then pictures of violently merging galaxies with all of the swirls and tails and erupting star-forming regions of blue stars. Send them on a mission to explain why merging galaxies are so dynamic, explore the interactions of distributed masses, gravity effects, dark matter effects, current cosmology theories.

And if in case you're not aware of it, search for website Astronomy Picture Of The Day. Just for daily zing.

Or go crazy like I did in High School: I made (by hand grinding) my own 6-inch diameter reflector mirror telescope. Epic by today's standards of Wal-Mart culture, but commonplace back in my day when Edmund's Scientific catalog arrival in the mailbox was every kid's Best Day Ever.

Likes nmsurobert and berkeman
tygerdawg said:
pictures of violently merging galaxies with all of the swirls and tails and erupting star-forming regions of blue stars.
https://phys.org/news/2016-10-galaxies-collide.html
11-whathappensw.jpg

Attachments

• 11-whathappensw.jpg
    11-whathappensw.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 497
Likes nmsurobert
berkeman said:
Great theme by @vela -- you could also assign a question to one of your most advanced groups of students, "Why do two black holes make a chirping sound when they collide and merge?" That leads into all kinds or research on LIGO and gravitational waves and data analysis and such. You can even poke at them some, with fun questions like, "I thought sound can't travel through a vacuum", and "How could scientists figure out which direction and how far away each collision/merger is?".
this is a really good idea too. i had thought about assigning them some kind of "advanced" research project like that. but i like that question. I wanted to talk about LIGO and what they've done. maybe ill make the student tell me haha

Likes berkeman
tygerdawg said:
Show pictures of island galaxies like Magellan, then pictures of violently merging galaxies with all of the swirls and tails and erupting star-forming regions of blue stars. Send them on a mission to explain why merging galaxies are so dynamic, explore the interactions of distributed masses, gravity effects, dark matter effects, current cosmology theories.

And if in case you're not aware of it, search for website Astronomy Picture Of The Day. Just for daily zing.

Or go crazy like I did in High School: I made (by hand grinding) my own 6-inch diameter reflector mirror telescope. Epic by today's standards of Wal-Mart culture, but commonplace back in my day when Edmund's Scientific catalog arrival in the mailbox was every kid's Best Day Ever.

ah that's a really good idea too. that sounds like a mega project too.

thanks everyone!

Likes berkeman

Related to Astronomy Projects for 12th Grade Class

1. What are some potential topics for astronomy projects for 12th grade class?

Some potential topics for astronomy projects for 12th grade class include studying the formation and evolution of stars, investigating the properties and behavior of planets in our solar system, exploring the mysteries of dark matter and dark energy, and analyzing data from space missions and telescopes to better understand our universe.

2. How can I incorporate hands-on activities into my astronomy project?

There are many ways to incorporate hands-on activities into an astronomy project. Some ideas include building and testing a model of a spacecraft, creating a scale model of the solar system, using a telescope to observe and identify different celestial objects, and conducting experiments to demonstrate concepts like gravity and light.

3. Are there any online resources or databases that can help with my astronomy project?

Yes, there are several online resources and databases that can be helpful for astronomy projects. NASA's website offers a wealth of information and data, as well as interactive tools and educational resources. The Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory also has a variety of online databases and tools for research and data analysis.

4. Can I work on my astronomy project with a partner or in a group?

Yes, working on an astronomy project with a partner or in a group can be beneficial as it allows for collaboration, brainstorming, and dividing tasks. However, it's important to make sure that each member of the group contributes equally and that everyone is on the same page about the project goals and expectations.

5. How can I make my astronomy project stand out and be unique?

To make your astronomy project stand out and be unique, you can try focusing on a specific area of astronomy that interests you, incorporating creative elements like art or music, using advanced technology or equipment, or presenting your project in a visually appealing and engaging way. It's also important to choose a topic that you are passionate about and to think outside the box when it comes to research and experimentation.