Astronomy PhD in Europe: US Citizen, EU Citizen, Fluent in English & Hungarian

In summary, the speaker is a US citizen and EU citizen through their Hungarian parents, and is interested in getting a PhD in experimental astronomy in Europe due to their preference for the system and their love for travel. They are having difficulty finding universities in Europe that offer this program, with the UK being a possible option but with concerns about securing a stipend. They are seeking suggestions for universities in Europe to look into.
Andromeda321
Hello all-

I'm currently wrapping up a Physics M.S. in astrophysics at a well-known university in the USA for this field, and for a few reasons I want to get my Astronomy PhD in Europe, focusing on experiment (I know I want to transfer from here because the research opportunities don't interest me, and I like the system over there better and love to travel so it'd be pretty awesome if it worked out). I am a US citizen and have EU citizenship as well through my Hungarian parents, which is helpful. As a difficulty though the only languages I speak fluently are English and Hungarian!

Problem is I'm trying hard right now to find universities within this subset- not too picky about the country save the language issues above- and Googling isn't being very helpful. So can anyone tell me some universities in Europe I can look into for experimental astronomy, or where to look into it? I've looked into the UK and while I'll be applying it looks like I'll have issues securing a stipend with just an EU citizenship (true?) so someplace like Germany or the Netherlands might work although I'm eager to hear any suggestions. :) Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are trying to suggests that it's hard to find a PhD program in astronomy in Europe?

Researching programs is the first obstacle that needs to be surmounted in getting a PhD and you seem to be passing the buck. It took me less than a minute to do this http://www.phdportal.eu/search/?q=di-82|lv-phd&order=relevance

Related to Astronomy PhD in Europe: US Citizen, EU Citizen, Fluent in English & Hungarian

1. What is an Astronomy PhD program and what does it involve?

An Astronomy PhD program is an advanced degree program that focuses on the study of celestial objects and phenomena in the universe. It involves conducting research, attending graduate-level courses, and writing a thesis or dissertation on a specific topic in astronomy.

2. Can US citizens apply for an Astronomy PhD program in Europe?

Yes, US citizens can apply for an Astronomy PhD program in Europe. Many universities in Europe welcome international students, including those from the US, and have specific programs and funding opportunities for non-EU citizens.

3. Are EU citizens eligible for funding for an Astronomy PhD program in Europe?

Yes, EU citizens are eligible for funding for an Astronomy PhD program in Europe. As citizens of an EU country, they may have access to scholarships, grants, and other forms of financial aid offered by their own government or the European Union.

4. Is being fluent in English and Hungarian necessary for an Astronomy PhD program in Europe?

Being fluent in English is usually a requirement for an Astronomy PhD program in Europe, as most universities offer programs in English. Fluency in Hungarian may be beneficial if you are considering studying in Hungary, but it is not a requirement for all programs in Europe.

5. How long does it take to complete an Astronomy PhD program in Europe?

The duration of an Astronomy PhD program in Europe varies depending on the university and the individual's progress. On average, it takes about 3-4 years to complete the program, but it can take longer for some students. Factors such as research progress, funding, and writing the thesis or dissertation can affect the length of the program.