Astronomy, Luminosity of 100 solar mass stars

In summary, the individual luminosity of a 100 M_\odot star can be found using the formula L/Lsun = (100 Msun/1Msun)^3.5, while the combined luminosity of 100 separate 1 M_\odot stars would be 100 Lsun. It is important to note that the phrase "100 solar mass stars" should be interpreted as "stars with a mass of 100 M_\odot."
jmm5872
This is just a small part of one of my problems. I need to find the luminosity of a stellar population containing 100 solar mass stars and one 20 solar mass star.

I think that the 20 solar mass star will dominate, but I am not sure. Here is the formula to use:

L/Lsun = (M/Msun)^3.5

I am going to have to find the luminosity of the 100 stars, and the 20 solar mass star seperately, and then add the luminosities together. But I am not sure if I can do this...

L/Lsun = (100 Msun/1Msun)^3.5

Or would it simply be 100 Lsun is the total luminosity?

Also, I was not really sure whether to put this question here, or in the other sciences section. I figured this was more related to physics than other sciences.

Physics news on Phys.org
jmm5872 said:
I am going to have to find the luminosity of the 100 stars, and the 20 solar mass star seperately, and then add the luminosities together. But I am not sure if I can do this...

L/Lsun = (100 Msun/1Msun)^3.5

No. This would be the luminosity of a single 100 M[itex]_\odot[/itex] star.

jmm5872 said:
Or would it simply be 100 Lsun is the total luminosity?

Yes. One hundred separate 1 M[itex]_\odot[/itex] stars would have a combined luminosity of 100 L[itex]_\odot[/itex]. That is because each of them would have an individual luminosity of 1 L[itex]_\odot[/itex]. Just plug 1 M[itex]_\odot[/itex] into your mass-luminosity relation in order to see that the sentence before this one is true.

Also just a note on your terminology. Most astronomers would parse your phrase "100 solar mass stars" as being equivalent to the phrase, "stars having a mass of 100 M[itex]_\odot[/itex]." In order to say what you actually meant, you'd have to say:

One hundred 1 solar-mass stars

or something like that.

Thank you!

As an astronomer, I can confirm that your approach to finding the luminosity of the stellar population containing 100 solar mass stars and one 20 solar mass star is correct. The formula you have provided, L/Lsun = (M/Msun)^3.5, is known as the mass-luminosity relation and is commonly used in astronomy to estimate the luminosity of stars based on their mass.

In this case, the 20 solar mass star will indeed have a higher luminosity compared to the 100 solar mass stars. This is because the luminosity of a star increases exponentially with its mass, as shown in the mass-luminosity relation. Therefore, the 20 solar mass star, being more massive, will have a higher luminosity compared to the 100 solar mass stars combined.

To find the total luminosity of the stellar population, you will need to first calculate the individual luminosities of the 100 solar mass stars and the 20 solar mass star using the mass-luminosity relation. Then, you can add these luminosities together to find the total luminosity of the stellar population.

In summary, your approach is correct and the 20 solar mass star will indeed dominate the luminosity of the stellar population. And since this question is related to astronomy and physics, posting it in this section is appropriate. I hope this helps. Good luck with your problem!

Related to Astronomy, Luminosity of 100 solar mass stars

1. What is the luminosity of a 100 solar mass star?

The luminosity of a 100 solar mass star is approximately 10 billion times that of the Sun.

2. How does the luminosity of a 100 solar mass star compare to other types of stars?

A 100 solar mass star is considered a supermassive star and has a much greater luminosity than smaller stars like our Sun.

3. Can the luminosity of a 100 solar mass star change over time?

Yes, the luminosity of a 100 solar mass star can change over time as it goes through different stages of its life cycle. It may become even more luminous as it grows in size and fuses heavier elements in its core.

4. What factors affect the luminosity of a 100 solar mass star?

The luminosity of a 100 solar mass star is primarily determined by its mass, age, and composition. Other factors such as temperature and distance from Earth can also impact its perceived brightness.

5. How do scientists measure the luminosity of a 100 solar mass star?

Scientists use a combination of techniques, including spectroscopy and photometry, to measure the luminosity of a 100 solar mass star. These methods involve analyzing the star's spectrum and measuring its apparent brightness to determine its intrinsic luminosity.