Asteroid Collision: Calculating Impact Speed

In summary, the conversation revolves around an asteroid that is 10r away from Earth and traveling at a speed of 12 km/s. The impact speed of the asteroid when it hits Earth cannot be determined as there is not enough information provided, and the OP is advised to show effort and provide more details.
Willis2833
1. An asteroid is 10r away from the earth, and traveling at a speed of 12 km/s. What is the impact speed of the asteroid when it hits the earth?2. Gravitation problem: U = -Gm[E]m / r ...I think3. I've been looking in my book and online and cannot figure it out, please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Willis2833, we'd really like to help, but the Rules at PF state the OP must show some effort at solving the problem posted. Unfortunately, 'I cannot figure it out,' isn't good enough. I mean, you should write down some numbers at least, or the value of the constants like r or G, or Me.

Surely there is not enough information to answer the question.

If the asteroid's speed is away from Earth, then the answer is: "not applicable".

Related to Asteroid Collision: Calculating Impact Speed

What is an asteroid collision?

An asteroid collision occurs when an asteroid, a small rocky object orbiting the sun, collides with another celestial object, such as a planet or moon.

How do scientists calculate the impact speed of an asteroid collision?

Scientists use mathematical equations to calculate the impact speed of an asteroid collision. This involves measuring the size and mass of the asteroid, as well as its trajectory and velocity.

What factors affect the impact speed of an asteroid collision?

The impact speed of an asteroid collision can be affected by various factors, including the size and mass of the asteroid, the angle of impact, and the composition of the target object.

What are the potential consequences of an asteroid collision?

An asteroid collision can have significant consequences, depending on the size and speed of the asteroid. It can cause damage to the impacted object, create tsunamis and earthquakes, and even lead to mass extinction events.

Can scientists predict and prevent asteroid collisions?

Scientists can predict the potential for asteroid collisions by tracking the orbits of known asteroids. However, preventing such collisions is currently not possible with our current technology. Efforts are being made to develop methods for deflecting or destroying potentially hazardous asteroids in the future.