Assumptions of Griffith's fracture theory

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for experts on Griffith's fracture theory and the validity of the theory for initial crack lengths. The speaker is building a simulation model and is unsure if it should produce similar results for critical stress when the initial crack length is not small compared to the system's length scale. Suggestions for finding information on the theory include consulting experts in material science or fracture mechanics, researching published research, and contacting organizations such as ASTM or commercial vendors.
wonderer_85
Any experts on Griffith's fracture theory?

I am studying the subject and I am having hard time finding out if the theory is valid for all possible initial crack lengths. I have heard from pretty reliable source that we must assume small crack length compared to the macroscopic length of the system. But I haven't found this restriction from the material in the web.

I am building a DEM simulation model and I would like to test it against the Griffith's fracture theory but I am not sure if the simulation should produce similar values for critical stress when the length of the initial crack is not small compared to the length scale of the system.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best experts on the Griffith's fracture theory are likely to be those in the field of material science or fracture mechanics. Some universities may offer courses related to fracture mechanics, and the instructors in these courses should be able to provide you with the information you seek. Alternatively, you may be able to find references to published research in the area. The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) may also be able to provide you with some useful information. Finally, there are a number of commercial vendors that specialize in providing fracture mechanics services and consulting. They may be able to provide you with information on the Griffith's fracture theory and its applications.

Related to Assumptions of Griffith's fracture theory

What is Griffith's fracture theory?

Griffith's fracture theory is a scientific theory that explains the causes of brittle fracture in materials, specifically focusing on the role of microscopic cracks or flaws in the material structure.

What are the key assumptions of Griffith's fracture theory?

The key assumptions of Griffith's fracture theory are:

• The material has a brittle behavior, meaning it does not exhibit significant plastic deformation before breaking.
  • The material is homogeneous, meaning it has the same properties throughout.
  • The material is isotropic, meaning its properties are the same in all directions.
  • The material contains microscopic cracks or flaws that act as stress concentrators.
  • The material has a linear elastic behavior, meaning it obeys Hooke's law.

How do these assumptions affect the application of Griffith's fracture theory?

These assumptions limit the applicability of Griffith's fracture theory to specific types of materials and conditions. For example, it is not applicable to ductile materials that can experience significant plastic deformation before breaking. It also does not consider the effects of anisotropy or non-linear elastic behavior.

What is the significance of the assumptions in Griffith's fracture theory?

The assumptions in Griffith's fracture theory help simplify the model and make it easier to analyze the cause of brittle fracture in materials. They also provide a starting point for further research and development of more comprehensive fracture theories that can account for more complex material behaviors.

Are there any exceptions to the assumptions in Griffith's fracture theory?

Yes, there can be exceptions to these assumptions in certain materials or conditions. For example, some materials may exhibit both brittle and ductile behavior, making it necessary to consider both in fracture analysis. Additionally, the presence of microstructural features such as grain boundaries or impurities can affect the homogeneity and isotropy of a material.