Assumptions in Newton's Second Law

In summary, Newton's second law involves calculating the change in momentum over time, which can be expressed in terms of velocity. In order to solve a problem using this law, all velocities in the system must be written with respect to the lab frame.
kq6up
With my understanding of Newton's second -- if I am going to use it to solve a problem, I would need to write ALL velocities in the system with respect to the lab frame (inertial rest frame) -- correct?

Thanks,
Chris

Science news on Phys.org
kq6up said:
With my understanding of Newton's second -- if I am going to use it to solve a problem, I would need to write ALL velocities in the system with respect to the lab frame (inertial rest frame) -- correct?
Velocity doesn't even appear in Newton's second law.

It does in the rocket problem. ##\dot{p}=\dot{m}v+m\dot{v}=F_{thrust}##. Also, if you are calculating the the change in momentum over some time interval ##F=m\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##.

Chris

kq6up said:
It does in the rocket problem. ##\dot{p}=\dot{m}v+m\dot{v}=F_{thrust}##. Also, if you are calculating the the change in momentum over some time interval ##F=m\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}##.
What, you have there is acceleration and average acceleration, which of course can be expressed in terms of velocity.

Yes, that is correct. Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This law assumes that the reference frame in which the forces and velocities are measured is an inertial frame, meaning that it is not accelerating or rotating. In order to accurately apply this law to a problem, all velocities must be measured relative to this inertial frame. This ensures that the forces and accelerations are properly accounted for and the resulting calculations are accurate.

Related to Assumptions in Newton's Second Law

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the Law of Acceleration, states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

2. What are the assumptions in Newton's Second Law?

The main assumptions in Newton's Second Law are that the object is a point mass, there are no external forces acting on the object, and the forces acting on the object are constant and in the same direction.

3. Why is it important to consider assumptions in Newton's Second Law?

Considering the assumptions in Newton's Second Law is important because it helps us understand the limitations and scope of the law. It also allows us to make accurate predictions and interpretations of the law in different scenarios.

4. What happens if the assumptions in Newton's Second Law are not met?

If the assumptions in Newton's Second Law are not met, the law may not accurately describe the motion of the object. For example, if there are external forces acting on the object, the net force acting on the object will not be equal to the mass times acceleration.

5. Are the assumptions in Newton's Second Law always met?

No, the assumptions in Newton's Second Law may not always be met in real-world situations. For example, objects are not always point masses and there are often external forces acting on them. However, the law still holds true in many cases and can still be a useful tool for understanding motion and making predictions.