Assumption of Diminishing Marginal Rate of Substitution in Indifference Curves

In summary, an indifference curve is a graphical representation of a consumer's preferences for different combinations of two goods. A vertical indifference curve indicates that the consumer is completely indifferent between two goods, while a straight line indifference curve shows a constant trade-off between two goods. The slope of a vertical indifference curve represents the marginal rate of substitution, which is infinite in this case. Real-life examples of vertical indifference curves can be seen in cases of perfect substitutes, such as generic products.
Kinetica

Homework Statement

What assumptions do we make to rule out vertical or horizontal indifference curves when slope is zero?

Homework Equations

There are several assumptions:

completeness
reflexivity
transitivity
being continuous
strong monotonicity
diminishing marginal rates of substitution

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that this is the assumption of diminishing marginal rate of substitution.

Am I right?

Physics news on Phys.org
My experience with indifference curves consists of what I just read in the last 5 minutes, since I had never heard the term before. And, having read the definitions of the properties you list I think yes, you are correct.

Related to Assumption of Diminishing Marginal Rate of Substitution in Indifference Curves

1. What is an indifference curve?

An indifference curve is a graphical representation of a consumer's preferences for different combinations of two goods. It shows all the combinations of two goods that provide the consumer with the same level of satisfaction or utility.

2. What does a vertical indifference curve indicate?

A vertical indifference curve indicates that the consumer is completely indifferent between two goods and is willing to give up any amount of one good to get more of the other. This means that the consumer's preferences are not affected by changes in the quantity of one good, as long as the quantity of the other good remains the same.

3. How is a vertical indifference curve different from a straight line indifference curve?

A vertical indifference curve represents perfect substitutability between two goods, while a straight line indifference curve represents a constant trade-off between two goods. This means that the slope of a vertical indifference curve is infinite, while the slope of a straight line indifference curve is constant.

4. What does the slope of a vertical indifference curve represent?

The slope of a vertical indifference curve represents the marginal rate of substitution (MRS) between two goods. This is the rate at which a consumer is willing to exchange one good for another while remaining on the same indifference curve. In the case of a vertical indifference curve, the MRS is infinite, indicating that the consumer is willing to trade an unlimited amount of one good for the other.

5. What are some real-life examples of vertical indifference curves?

Vertical indifference curves can be seen in cases where two goods are perfect substitutes, such as generic products like generic brands of cereal or medication. In these cases, consumers are indifferent between the two goods and are willing to trade one for the other regardless of the quantity.