Assorted questions about Srednicki ch78

• Thread starter LAHLH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Srednicki
Overall, the ghost Lagrangian is invariant under the combined transformation because it only depends on the transformation properties of the fields, not on the specific form of the transformations. In summary, in ch78 of Srednicki's QFT, the background field gauge is discussed and it is shown that the ghost Lagrangian is invariant under the combined transformation of the gauge and background field. The quantum action is not gauge invariant because we had to fix a gauge to do the path integral, but this is necessary to eliminate redundant degrees of freedom. The quantum action is defined as the sum of all 1PI diagrams with external propagators replaced with fields, and this is shown in ch21. Setting A=\bar{A} in the quantum action
LAHLH
Hi,

I have a few questions about ch78 of Srednicki's QFT: background field gauge. I'll just post a couple to see if anyone can help and so this post isn't huge, then maybe some more later.

1) If the background field transforms as [itex] \delta_G \bar{A^a_{\mu}}(x)=0[/itex] and [itex] \delta_{BG} \bar{A^a_{\mu}}(x)=-\bar{D^{ac}_{\mu}\theta^c(x)}[/itex], am I correct in thinking that under the combined transformation we have just [itex] \delta_{G+BG} \bar{A^a_{\mu}}(x)=-\bar{D^{ac}_{\mu}}\theta^c(x)[/itex]? If so then I can see that [itex] D_{\mu},\bar{D_{\mu}} [/itex] will have the same transformation under [itex] \delta_{G+BG} [/itex]. I guess then for his argument to show the invariance of the ghost Lagrangian under this combined transformation it doesn't matter that the D's are different (D, D bar) so long as they transform the same way under the transformation you might as well have two D's? Don't suppose anyone could make this more explicit? so I can this this ghost L really is inv under the combined transform.

2) I have read ch21 regarding the quantum action, but I can't see what he means in ch78 about it being the sum of 1PI diagrams with external propagators replaced with fields, where is this shown in ch21? Why exactly is the quantum action not gauge invariant? I know we had to fix a gauge to do the path integral, but what does this have to do with quantum action not being gauge inv?

3) Isn't (78.15) true all the time? by my argument above, and the quantum action is always invariant under [itex]\delta_{G+BG}[/itex]...why did we have to set [itex]A=\bar{A} [/itex] in the quantum action?

4) In (78.22) I don't understand again why we are replacing ext props with external fields, but assuming it for now: and I presume he wants to just set [itex]A=\bar{A} [/itex] because of reasons expressed on previous page, how does setting [itex] A=\bar{A}+\mathcal{A} [/itex] achieve this?OK I will leave it at those questions for now, and see how it goes...thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I'll try my best to answer your questions about ch78 of Srednicki's QFT: background field gauge.

1) Yes, you are correct in thinking that under the combined transformation, we have just \delta_{G+BG} \bar{A^a_{\mu}}(x)=-\bar{D^{ac}_{\mu}}\theta^c(x). This is because the combined transformation is simply the sum of the individual transformations. And you are also correct in thinking that the invariance of the ghost Lagrangian under this combined transformation does not depend on the specific form of the D's, as long as they transform the same way. This is because the ghost Lagrangian only depends on the transformation properties of the fields, not on the specific form of the transformations.

2) In ch21, Srednicki defines the quantum action as the sum of all 1PI diagrams with external propagators replaced with fields. This is shown in Eq. (21.10) where the quantum action is written as a sum of all diagrams with external propagators replaced by fields. The reason why the quantum action is not gauge invariant is because we had to fix a gauge in order to do the path integral. This means that the path integral is only invariant under the gauge transformations that leave the gauge fixing condition unchanged. Any other gauge transformation will change the path integral, and therefore the quantum action.

3) Yes, (78.15) is true all the time. This is because it represents the gauge transformation of the background field, which is always invariant under \delta_{G+BG}. The reason why we set A=\bar{A} in the quantum action is because we want to eliminate the redundant degrees of freedom in the path integral. This is achieved by choosing a specific gauge fixing condition, which in this case is A=\bar{A}.

4) In (78.22), we are replacing external propagators with external fields because we want to eliminate the redundant degrees of freedom in the path integral. By setting A=\bar{A}+\mathcal{A}, we are essentially choosing a specific gauge fixing condition that eliminates these redundant degrees of freedom. This is explained in more detail in the previous pages.

I hope this helps clarify your questions about the background field gauge. Let me know if you have any further questions or need more clarification.

Related to Assorted questions about Srednicki ch78

1. What is Srednicki ch78?

Srednicki ch78 refers to chapter 78 of the textbook "Quantum Field Theory" by Mark Srednicki. This chapter covers topics related to the renormalization group and its applications in quantum field theory.

2. What is the renormalization group?

The renormalization group is a mathematical framework used in quantum field theory to study how physical quantities change as we change the scale or resolution at which we are observing them. It helps us understand the behavior of systems at different energy scales.

3. How is the renormalization group applied in quantum field theory?

The renormalization group is used to study how the parameters of a quantum field theory change as we vary the energy scale at which we are observing the system. This allows us to make predictions about the behavior of the system at different energy scales and identify relevant or irrelevant interactions.

4. What are the applications of the renormalization group in physics?

The renormalization group has many applications in physics, including understanding phase transitions, critical phenomena, and the behavior of systems at different energy scales. It is also used to study the behavior of condensed matter systems, quantum chromodynamics, and the behavior of particles in high energy physics experiments.

5. How is the renormalization group related to the concept of universality?

The concept of universality in physics refers to the idea that different systems can exhibit similar behavior at critical points or phase transitions, despite having different microscopic details. The renormalization group helps us understand this universality by showing how the behavior of a system at a critical point is determined by its relevant interactions, which are the same for different systems. This allows us to make general predictions about the behavior of these systems without needing to know all the microscopic details.