Associations like acm, ieee, and shpe

• Thread starter kadaj6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ieee
In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits and downsides of joining professional societies such as acm, ieee, and shpe for future career advancement. These societies offer opportunities for professional networking, access to educational and technical materials, and potential prestige, but may also involve a bureaucratic structure and time commitment. It is advised to carefully consider the benefits and drawbacks before subscribing to any society.
kadaj6
I am currently a computer engineer student and I am looking into associations like acm, ieee, and shpe. Which one will help best for my future career and is it worth subscribing to one.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

anyone? please?

Any of them. All of them.

There is a direct relationship to the "benefit received" to the amount of "effort expended and participation."

Benefits are just exactly what all of these types of professional societies state:
  • Professional networking, meetings & conferences, & knowing colleagues. Most good jobs come from relationships. For entrepreneurs, most good contracts come from relationships. People with whom to share / discuss ideas and concepts, and all of that.
  • Access to the educational or technical materials of the societies. If not free, then at less expense.
  • Prestige. That one is debateable.
  • You can put this stuff on your resume.

The downsides:
  • Many of these societies masquerade as providing some benefit, but in reality they are a big bureaucracy of fat cats that need membership to support them and their lifestyle. Be careful.
  • If you become involved with a local chapter, then typically they will expect you stay in participation via holding office. I've been a Chapter Chair before, and it was a huge drain on my available free time for little benefits and few thanks. I became disillusioned with the whole thing and dropped out completely. Never regretted it.

Related to Associations like acm, ieee, and shpe

1. What is ACM and what does it stand for?

ACM stands for the Association for Computing Machinery. It is an international organization dedicated to advancing computing as a science and profession. It is the world's largest educational and scientific computing society.

2. What is IEEE and what is its main focus?

IEEE stands for the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. It is a global professional organization dedicated to advancing technology for the benefit of humanity. Its main focus is on electrical and electronic engineering, computer science, and related fields.

3. What is SHPE and what does it do?

SHPE stands for the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers. It is a national organization focused on empowering the Hispanic community in the STEM fields. It provides resources, networking opportunities, and support for Hispanic engineers and students pursuing STEM careers.

4. How can I become a member of these associations?

Membership requirements vary for each association. Generally, you can become a member by filling out an application and paying a membership fee. Some associations may have specific requirements such as being a student or working in a certain field. It is best to check the individual association's website for more information on becoming a member.

5. What are the benefits of joining these associations?

Some potential benefits of joining these associations include access to networking opportunities, professional development resources, conferences and events, publications, and career support. You may also have the opportunity to connect with like-minded individuals and make a positive impact in your field.