Associating a focal length to an angle for a parabola

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the focal length of a point on a parabola, given an angle theta with the x-axis. The equation of the parabola is y^2 = 4ax, with the focus at (a, 0). The point P is given by (a-lcos(theta), lsin(theta)) and results in a quadratic equation for the focal length. The problem arises in explaining why there are two solutions for l, with the second solution representing the point of intersection between the parabola and the line at angle theta with negative slope.
rohanprabhu

Homework Statement

If there is a line from the focus of a parabola such that it makes an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] with the x-axis. It intersects the parabola at a point 'P'. I want to find the focal length of the point P as a function of [itex]\theta[/itex].

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation of the parabola is given by [itex]y^2 = 4ax[/itex]. The focus is given by [itex](a, 0)[/itex].

The point where the line from the focus intersects the parabola is 'P' and the focal length of the point is given by 'l'. Then, the point 'P' is given by: [itex](a - l \cos ({\theta}), l \sin ({\theta}))[/itex].

Then, to get, i substitute in the equation for a parabola and get a quadratic equation in 'l'. The problem i face now is in explaining in how exactly i get two solutions for 'l' [discriminant is dependent on certain factors and not necessarily 0]. For a given theta, it's pretty clear that i will be getting a certain length only. Then why is it so that i can get more than two solutions. What does the second solution signify?

Physics news on Phys.org
The other solution is the where the other line at angle [itex]\theta[/itex] through (a, 0), the one with negative slope, intersects the parabola.

I would approach this problem by first clarifying the definitions and assumptions being made. The focal length of a parabola is typically defined as the distance from the vertex (the point where the parabola changes direction) to the focus. However, in this problem, the focus is defined as the point (a,0) which is not necessarily the vertex. Additionally, the equation y^2 = 4ax that is being used assumes that the parabola is oriented with its axis along the x-axis, which may not always be the case.

With these clarifications in mind, we can proceed with the solution. The focal length of a point P on a parabola is given by the distance from P to the focus. Using the distance formula, we can write this as:

l = √[(a - x)^2 + y^2]

where (x,y) is the coordinates of point P. Substituting in the coordinates given in the problem, we get:

l = √[(a - a cosθ)^2 + (a sinθ)^2]

= √[a^2(cos^2θ - 2acosθ + 1) + a^2sin^2θ]

= √[a^2(cos^2θ + sin^2θ) - 2a^2cosθ + a^2]

= √[a^2(1 - cosθ) + a^2]

= √[2a^2(1 - cosθ)]

= a√[2(1 - cosθ)]

This gives us the focal length l as a function of the angle θ. However, this solution assumes that the point P lies on the parabola. If we allow P to be any point in the plane, then we can get multiple solutions for l. This is because the equation y^2 = 4ax represents a family of parabolas, each with a different vertex and focus. So, for a given angle θ, there may be multiple parabolas that intersect the line from the focus at point P, resulting in multiple solutions for l.

In conclusion, the second solution for l signifies that there are multiple parabolas that satisfy the given conditions, and thus multiple possible focal lengths for the point P. This is due to the fact that the equation y^2 = 4ax represents a family of parabolas

Related to Associating a focal length to an angle for a parabola

1. What is the focal length of a parabola?

The focal length of a parabola is the distance from the focus (the point at which all reflected light rays converge) to the vertex (the point where the parabola makes its sharpest turn).

2. How is the focal length of a parabola calculated?

The focal length of a parabola can be calculated using the formula f = 1/4a, where f is the focal length and a is the coefficient of the squared term in the equation of the parabola.

3. Can the focal length of a parabola be negative?

No, the focal length of a parabola cannot be negative. It is always a positive value.

4. How does the focal length of a parabola affect the angle of reflection?

The focal length of a parabola determines the angle at which light rays will be reflected. The shorter the focal length, the sharper the angle of reflection will be. Conversely, a longer focal length will result in a more shallow angle of reflection.

5. What is the relationship between the focal length and the angle of a parabola?

The focal length and angle of a parabola are inversely proportional. As the focal length decreases, the angle of the parabola increases, and vice versa.