Assist in rearrangment of equation that includes ln

• Thread starter Bgayn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ln
In summary, the conversation involves rearranging an equation to solve for x, with one person suggesting the use of log properties and the other asking for more context and clarification on the equation.
Bgayn
T= ln x/k divided by (x-k)

I need to rearrange this equation to solve for x.

any suggestions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you use log(x/y) = log(x) - log(y), then at the very least you can isolate all the terms that have x in them. What is the context of your problem and what have you tried so far?

Bgayn said:
T= ln x/k divided by (x-k)

I need to rearrange this equation to solve for x.

any suggestions?
Yes. Start by writing the equation unambiguously. What you wrote could mean either of these:
a)
$$T = \ln\left(\frac{x/k}{x - k}\right)$$
b)
$$T = \frac{\ln(x/y)}{x - k} $$

In other words, does the division happen before taking the log, or after? We can't help you if we don't know what the problem is.

Related to Assist in rearrangment of equation that includes ln

1. What does "ln" stand for in an equation?

"ln" stands for the natural logarithm. It is a mathematical function that calculates the logarithm of a number with respect to the base e, where e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

2. How do I rearrange an equation that includes ln?

To rearrange an equation that includes ln, follow the same basic rules for rearranging any other equation. First, isolate the ln term on one side of the equation. Then, use the inverse operation (exponentiation) to remove the ln. Finally, solve for the desired variable.

3. Can I use properties of logarithms when rearranging an equation with ln?

Yes, you can use properties of logarithms when rearranging an equation with ln. Some helpful properties include the product rule, quotient rule, and power rule.

4. Is it possible to have more than one ln term in an equation?

Yes, it is possible to have more than one ln term in an equation. In this case, you can combine the ln terms using logarithmic properties before rearranging the equation.

5. Are there any special rules to keep in mind when rearranging an equation with ln?

One important rule to keep in mind when rearranging an equation with ln is to make sure that the argument of the ln is always positive. This is because the natural logarithm function is only defined for positive values.