Assignment where i have to make conjectures.

• Thread starter choob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assignment
In summary: Should I put "from Dijkstra's personal website" in the reference?No. References can be anything that helps you understand or connect the information you are presenting.
choob
I am in the process of completing an assignment where i have to make conjectures. As of now I have made conjectures that for function P(n)=(n^x)-n is divisible by x for all x that are prime numbers,

And that for x choose r=k, k belonging to the natural numbers, that k is a multiple of x when r=2.

Now I have to make a converse, I have absolutely no idea what a converse is. Through googling "converse conjecture" I have an idea that a converse is a counter-argument to my arguments, but that would mean I would have to contradict myself?

Help and input much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

The converse to "if a then b" is "if b then a". You just switch the "hypothesis" (a) and the conclusion (b). No, a "converse" is NOT counter-argument. I don't know how you got that impression.

Notice that the converse of "if b then a" is "if a then b" because we have just swapped the hypothesis and conclusion back again.

For example, if the statement is "if n is divisible by 6 then it is divisible by 2", then its converse would be "if n is divisible by 2 then it is divisible by 6". Notice that, in this case, the first statement is true but the second statement is false.

Another example would be "if n is divisible by both 2 and 3 then it is divisible by 6" which has converse "if n is divisible by 6 then it is divisible by both 2 and 3". In this case, both the statement and the converse are true.

Knowing the original statement is true tells you nothing about whether the converse is true or false (and "conversely").

Thanks.
So for my first conjecture n^x-n is divisible by x that are prime numbers then the converse would be if n^x-n and x is a prime number than n^x-n is divisible by x?

Try and state the conjecture clearly in an if-then form. Your conjecture is "IF p is prime THEN n^p-n is divisible by p for all n". Now it's easy to state the converse. Just reverse the IF and THEN parts. Try it. Both are interesting questions and have names and history.

If x is a prime number than n^x-n is divisible by x
Converse: If n^x-n is divisible by n then x is a prime number

If r is 2 then x choose r is divisible by x
Converse: If x choose r is divisible by x then r=2

Is that it?:D

Also any chance you could give me the name to this problem? I've tried googling it to no avail.

You are leaving out the "for all n" part. But, ok. And in the converse I hope you meant n^x-n is divisible by x, there's no reason to reverse n and x. The conjecture is Fermat's little theorem. It's true. The converse is the problem of pseudoprimes. It's false.

Last edited:

Thanks Dick

When I'm doing an assignment for math, is there a specific way to make references? For example, I am copying a passage from the late Dijkstra's personal website.

Related to Assignment where i have to make conjectures.

1. What is a conjecture?

A conjecture is a statement that is believed to be true, but has not yet been proven or disproven. It is based on observations or patterns and is used to guide further research or investigation.

2. How do you make a conjecture?

To make a conjecture, you must first observe a pattern or trend in data or information. Then, you can make an educated guess about what the next step or outcome might be based on that pattern. It is important to remember that a conjecture is not a fact until it is proven to be true.

3. What is the difference between a conjecture and a hypothesis?

A conjecture and a hypothesis are both educated guesses, but they differ in their purpose and use. A hypothesis is used in the scientific method to make a testable prediction about the outcome of an experiment, while a conjecture is used to guide further research or investigation.

4. Can a conjecture be proven?

Yes, a conjecture can be proven. However, it is important to note that not all conjectures can be proven. Some may be disproven or remain unproven due to lack of evidence or the complexity of the problem.

5. Why is it important to make conjectures in scientific research?

Conjectures are important in scientific research because they help guide the direction of further investigation. They provide a starting point for researchers to make predictions and test hypotheses. Additionally, even if a conjecture is proven to be false, it can still lead to new discoveries and insights in the field.