Assembly Language Programming under Mac OS X

In summary, you need to find an assembler that can output to XCode and make sure the calling convention is correct.
Agisch
I want to start with assembly language programming after some years with C, cause I think it's a good way to learn how a computer actually works.

But how I can compile assembly code under Mac OS X?

I went to a library, and I had found out that many books are outdated, and no book covers assembly language concerning Mac OS X.

Technology news on Phys.org
Hey Agisch and welcome to the forums.

Can you outline your architecture for your system (since this is important for picking an assembler program)?

XCode includes an assembler (as), but I'm not sure what's required to assemble and debug code using XCode. Here's a wiki link, but you should do a web search for "XCode assenbler" to get more information on how to use it, and howto use it with OS X. Assuming the C compiler has an assembly output option, you could write some code in C that makes basic OS X calls such as file I/O and look at the assembly code produced by the C compiler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode

chiro said:
Hey Agisch and welcome to the forums.

Can you outline your architecture for your system (since this is important for picking an assembler program)?

My system specifications:

MacBook Pro
15-inch, Mid 2012

Processor 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Given you have an Intel then any x86 64 (or x86 32 if 32-bit size words) will do the trick.

When you do assembler routines you need to make sure the calling convention is correct. Here is a look at it from Apple:

http://developer.apple.com/library/...owLevelABI/000-Introduction/introduction.html

Basically this ensures stuff is passed directly between different environments and its a critical thing when using assembly code in conjunction with say C++ or something else.

As for the actual assembler, I did a google search and I got this:

This document here mentions NASM which is a common assembly program.

http://www.nasm.us/

Read the docs for how to set the platform information (word size, operating system, calling conventions, etc) and you'll be good to go.

Also check out how you can link object modules compiled with NASM with your other dev tools if you are linking to compiled libraries, dynamic libraries, executables or other code objects.

Related to Assembly Language Programming under Mac OS X

What is assembly language programming?

Assembly language programming is a low-level programming language that is used to directly control the hardware of a computer. It consists of a series of instructions, each of which corresponds to a specific machine code instruction, and is typically used for tasks that require a high level of control over the computer's resources.

Why is assembly language programming important for Mac OS X?

Assembly language programming is important for Mac OS X because it allows developers to write code that can directly access and manipulate the hardware of the computer. This is especially useful for tasks that require precise control over system resources, such as device drivers, operating system kernels, and real-time applications.

What are the advantages of using assembly language programming on Mac OS X?

One of the main advantages of using assembly language programming on Mac OS X is that it allows for highly optimized and efficient code, as it can directly access and control the computer's hardware. Additionally, it can be used to perform tasks that are not possible with higher-level programming languages, such as directly accessing specific pieces of hardware or memory locations.

What are the challenges of programming in assembly language on Mac OS X?

One of the main challenges of programming in assembly language on Mac OS X is that it requires a deep understanding of the computer's hardware architecture and instruction set. This can make it more difficult and time-consuming to write and debug code compared to higher-level languages. Additionally, since assembly language is not as widely used as other languages, there may be fewer resources and support available for developers.

Are there any resources available for learning assembly language programming on Mac OS X?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning assembly language programming on Mac OS X, including online tutorials, books, and forums. Additionally, Apple provides documentation and tools, such as Xcode, that can help developers get started with assembly language programming on their Mac systems.