Asprin esterification reaction

• Thread starter Jbreezy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation is discussing the esterification reaction between acetic acid and ethyl alcohol to form ethyl acetate. The equation for this reaction is CH3COOH + CH3CH2OH <--> CH3COOCH2CH3 + H20. The acid functional group is circled and the acidic hydrogen is underlined. The alcohol functional group and the ester functional group are also circled. The discussion then shifts to the relationship of this reaction to aspirin, with the individual mentioning that it is from a lab where they are making aspirin.
Jbreezy

Homework Statement

Write the equation for the esterification reaction for acetic acid and ethyl
alcohol to form ethyl acetate.

Circle the acid functional group and underline the acidic hydrogen.

Circle the alcohol functional group

Circle the ester functional group.

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with

CH3COOH + CH3CH2OH <--> CH3COOCH2CH3 + H20
The functional group would be for acid
The acidic hydrogen is

The alcohol function group is

The ester functional group
I'm really not sure about this.

If you can please help me sort this out and explain your reasoning. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have it.

What I would like to know is what this problem has to do with aspirin?

I would say there is more than just carbonyl to the ester group.

The ester functional group
I looked up a definition.
Can you explain this to me? I can't find a very good definition.

To the person who asked what this problem has to do with aspirin. I'm not sure if this specific example has to do with aspirin but it is from a lab where we are making aspirin.
I just called it by that title.I'm not sure but I figure that is has something to do with it.
Thanks

Your attempt at the solution is correct. The equation for the esterification reaction of acetic acid and ethyl alcohol to form ethyl acetate is CH3COOH + CH3CH2OH <--> CH3COOCH2CH3 + H20.
The functional group for acid is the carboxyl group (COOH), which is circled in the equation. The acidic hydrogen is the hydrogen attached to the carboxyl group, which is underlined in the equation.
The functional group for alcohol is the hydroxyl group (OH), which is also circled in the equation.
The functional group for ester is the ester group (COO), which is circled in the equation.
Your reasoning is correct, and the equation and functional groups are correctly identified. Good job!

Related to Asprin esterification reaction

1. What is the purpose of the Aspirin esterification reaction?

The Aspirin esterification reaction is a chemical process that converts salicylic acid and acetic anhydride into acetylsalicylic acid, also known as Aspirin. This reaction is commonly used in the pharmaceutical industry to produce Aspirin, which is a widely used pain reliever and anti-inflammatory medication.

2. What are the reactants and products of the Aspirin esterification reaction?

The reactants of the Aspirin esterification reaction are salicylic acid and acetic anhydride. The products of the reaction are acetylsalicylic acid (Aspirin) and acetic acid.

3. What is the mechanism of the Aspirin esterification reaction?

The Aspirin esterification reaction follows a nucleophilic acyl substitution mechanism, where the hydroxyl group on salicylic acid attacks the carbonyl carbon of acetic anhydride. This results in the formation of a tetrahedral intermediate, which then undergoes a dehydration step to form the ester bond and release acetic acid.

4. What are the factors that affect the rate of the Aspirin esterification reaction?

The rate of the Aspirin esterification reaction can be affected by various factors, including the concentration of the reactants, temperature, and the presence of a catalyst. Higher concentrations of reactants and higher temperatures generally lead to a faster reaction. The presence of a catalyst, such as sulfuric acid, can also increase the rate of the reaction.

5. What are the safety precautions that should be taken while performing the Aspirin esterification reaction?

The Aspirin esterification reaction involves the use of hazardous chemicals, such as acetic anhydride and sulfuric acid. Therefore, proper safety precautions should be taken, such as wearing protective gear (gloves, goggles, lab coat), working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper handling and disposal protocols for the chemicals involved.