Aspiring to get an M.S. in Chemical Engineering

In summary, the speaker is considering pursuing a master's degree in chemical engineering and is seeking advice on how to prepare for it. They have an A.S. in Chemistry and a B.S. in Mathematics and have worked in an analytical lab for six months. The speaker has taken general and organic chemistry and one freshman level engineering class, but may need to complete additional courses in chemical engineering to meet the requirements for a master's degree. They are advised to look at the websites of chemical engineering programs they are interested in to see what courses they may need to take.
cncs10
I have an A.S. in Chemistry and a B.S. in Mathematics and I am considering trying to earn a master's degree in chemical engineer. After working for an analytical lab for six months in sample receipt and prep I have spent a lot of time trying to find ways to improve my career. I understand that there is most likely a lot of work and time that I will have to put into achieve this goal, but I was wondering what I can do to properly prepare myself. I have taken general and organic chemistry and one freshman level engineering class. Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have a look at the websites of some chemical engineering programs you are interested in. They usually have a list of "deficiency courses" for graduates with degrees in other majors that need to be completed to study for and earn a masters degree in chemical engineering.

With your background, I would guess you would be asked to take about 12-18 semester hours of junior & senior level chemical engineering courses as part of your program.

Related to Aspiring to get an M.S. in Chemical Engineering

1. What is the job outlook for individuals with an M.S. in Chemical Engineering?

The job outlook for individuals with an M.S. in Chemical Engineering is very positive. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of chemical engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. This growth is due to the increased demand for chemical products in a variety of industries, such as energy, pharmaceuticals, and consumer goods.

2. What skills can I expect to gain from pursuing an M.S. in Chemical Engineering?

By pursuing an M.S. in Chemical Engineering, you will gain a strong foundation in chemistry, physics, and mathematics, as well as advanced knowledge in chemical processes, thermodynamics, and material science. Additionally, you will develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills that are highly valued in the field of chemical engineering.

3. Can I specialize in a certain area of chemical engineering while pursuing my M.S.?

Yes, most M.S. programs in Chemical Engineering offer the opportunity for students to specialize in a particular area of study. Some common specializations include biochemical engineering, environmental engineering, and materials science. By choosing a specialization, you can tailor your education to align with your career goals and interests.

4. What are the typical admissions requirements for an M.S. in Chemical Engineering program?

Admissions requirements for M.S. programs in Chemical Engineering may vary, but most programs will require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as chemistry, physics, or engineering. Additionally, many programs will look for strong academic performance, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose outlining your goals and interests in pursuing an M.S. in Chemical Engineering.

5. Can I pursue an M.S. in Chemical Engineering if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an M.S. in Chemical Engineering with an undergraduate degree in a different field. However, you may be required to take additional prerequisite courses to ensure you have the necessary background knowledge for the program. It is also important to highlight any relevant coursework or experience in your application materials to demonstrate your preparedness for the program.