[ASK] where to find LED Components Material?

In summary: The processes used? It may be a Bridgman refining, or a Czochralski - but under high pressure of the volatile element! Or from GaAs and InGaN you'll lose much As and N, ending with a horribly doped semiconductor. More difficult than with silicon.Could it be that wafers are delivered with an epitaxy already, to offer a layer that's clean and ordered enough?
phost
Hello guys, nice to meet you all.
It's kinda awkward since I'm new here and also just a freshmen in my university :)

Anyway, I'm conducting a study about the LED components, whom I've already known it is consist of aluminium and Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) or Gallium Phosphide (GaP) or Gallium Arsenide Phosphide (GaAsP) or Indium Gallium Nitrogen (InGaN).

What are the processes to create those compound (GaAs, GaP, GaAsP, InGaN)?

And in this earth, where to find an abundant amount of those element (Ga, As, In, etc.) to create the compounds mentioned before?

Thank you :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
phost said:
Hello guys, nice to meet you all.
It's kinda awkward since I'm new here and also just a freshmen in my university :)

Anyway, I'm conducting a study about the LED components, whom I've already known it is consist of aluminium and Gallium Arsenide (GaAs) or Gallium Phosphide (GaP) or Gallium Arsenide Phosphide (GaAsP) or Indium Gallium Nitrogen (InGaN).

What are the processes to create those compound (GaAs, GaP, GaAsP, InGaN)?

And in this earth, where to find an abundant amount of those element (Ga, As, In, etc.) to create the compounds mentioned before?

Thank you :)

Welcome to the PF.

Since this is for schoolwork, you need to show us what you have found so far. What did you find by performing searches on those chemicals?

Also, Chemical Supply companies will probably be one source of some of those chemicals -- did you try looking at some of their websites for information?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Since this is for schoolwork, you need to show us what you have found so far. What did you find by performing searches on those chemicals?

Also, Chemical Supply companies will probably be one source of some of those chemicals -- did you try looking at some of their websites for information?

Anyway, your question suddenly made up my mind to look up those things you said. And so far after you asked, I've found those data and it also makes the question I posed before answered. Thanks =)

All the elements cites are by far abundant enough on Earth to make LEDs... And cheap enough as well.

But the pure and perfect single-crystal needed for micro-electronics are not abundant at all! They are (very) difficult to produce, very few companies do it, and purposely for LEDs. Nothing for a kitchen experiment.

The processes used? It may be a Bridgman refining, or a Czochralski - but under high pressure of the volatile element! Or from GaAs and InGaN you'll lose much As and N, ending with a horribly doped semiconductor. More difficult than with silicon.

Could it be that wafers are delivered with an epitaxy already, to offer a layer that's clean and ordered enough?

To the compounds you cite, more recent ones have been added to produce blue and ultraviolet light, which phosphors can convert to white.

Hello, welcome to the scientific community! LED components are commonly used in many electronic devices such as TVs, smartphones, and lighting fixtures. To answer your question, the materials used to create LED components can vary depending on the specific type of LED. For example, blue LEDs typically use Indium Gallium Nitrogen (InGaN), while red and green LEDs use Gallium Phosphide (GaP) or Gallium Arsenide Phosphide (GaAsP). The processes to create these compounds involve growing crystals of the desired material using specialized techniques such as molecular beam epitaxy or metalorganic chemical vapor deposition.

As for where to find these elements, Gallium (Ga) and Indium (In) are both relatively rare elements, with most of the world's supply being located in China. However, they can also be found in smaller amounts in other countries such as Russia, Japan, and Canada. Arsenic (As) and Nitrogen (N) are more abundant and can be found in various minerals and ores.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you need further information, I suggest consulting scientific journals or textbooks on the subject. Good luck with your study!

Related to [ASK] where to find LED Components Material?

1. Where can I purchase LED components material?

LED components material can be purchased from electronic stores, online retailers, and specialized LED component suppliers.

2. Are there different types of LED components material?

Yes, there are different types of LED components material such as LED chips, LED drivers, and LED lenses. These components have specific functions and can vary in size and specifications.

3. How do I choose the right LED components material for my project?

The right LED components material for your project will depend on the specific requirements of your project. Consider factors such as brightness, color, size, and compatibility when choosing LED components material.

4. Can I use regular electronic components for my LED project?

No, regular electronic components are not suitable for LED projects. LED components material is specifically designed for the unique characteristics and requirements of LED technology.

5. How do I ensure the quality of LED components material?

To ensure the quality of LED components material, make sure to purchase from reputable suppliers and manufacturers. Look for certifications and product reviews, and test the components before using them in your project.