What Is the Correct Equation for the Tangent of a Circle at a Given Point?

In summary: I should have substituted (y+1) for (y+7). Let's try again:There's an error in the above. Can you spot it?Yes, the typo in my very first step. I should have substituted (y+1) for (y+7). Let's try again:In summary, the center of the circle is (-3, 4), and the slope of the tangent line is either -\frac{5}{2} or -\frac{11}{2}.
Monoxdifly
MHB
One of the tangent line equation of the circle \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2+6x-8y+12=0\) at the point whose absis is -1 is ...
A. 2x - 3y - 7 = 0
B. 2x - 3y + 7 = 0
C. 2x + 3y - 5 = 0
D. 2x - 3y - 5 = 0
E. 2x - 3y + 5 = 0

By substituting x = -1, I got:
\(\displaystyle (-1)^2+y^2+6(-1)+8y+12=0\)
\(\displaystyle 1+y^2-6+8y+12=0\)
\(\displaystyle y^2+8y+7=0\)
(y + 1) (y + 7) = 0
y = -1 or y = -7
Then what?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Find the center $(h,k)$ of the circle and then find the equations of the two lines that pass through $(h,k),(-1,-1)$ and $(h,k),(-1,-7)$. One of those equations should match one of the answer choices.

Wait... A tangent shouldn't go through the circle's center, right?

That's right...my mistake. Find the slopes of the lines that pass through the points I gave. Call them $m$. Then find the equations of the lines that have slope $-\frac1m$ and pass through $(-1,-1)$ and $(-1,-7)$. That should get you your answer.

Let's try... Judging by the circle's equation, the center is (-3, 4) thus the slope you asked is either \(\displaystyle -\frac{5}{2}\) or \(\displaystyle -\frac{11}{2}\) and so the slope of the tangent is either \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{5}\) or \(\displaystyle \frac{2}{11}\). Trying to substitute the first one I'll get:
\(\displaystyle y-(-1)=\frac{2}{5}(x-(-1))\)
\(\displaystyle y+1=\frac{2}{5}(x+1)\)
5(y + 1) = 2(x + 1)
5y + 5 = 2x + 2
5y - 2x + 3 = 0
For the second one:
\(\displaystyle y-(-7)=\frac{2}{11}(x-(-1))\)
\(\displaystyle y+7=\frac{2}{11}(x+1)\)
11(y + 7) = 2(x + 1)
11y + 77 = 2x + 2
11y - 2x + 73 = 0
Huh? Where did I go wrong? Or did I misinterpret your hint?

I don't see any errors in your work.

Monoxdifly said:
One of the tangent line equation of the circle \(\displaystyle x^2+y^2+6x-8y+12=0\) at the point whose absis is -1 is ...
A. 2x - 3y - 7 = 0
B. 2x - 3y + 7 = 0
C. 2x + 3y - 5 = 0
D. 2x - 3y - 5 = 0
E. 2x - 3y + 5 = 0

By substituting x = -1, I got:
\(\displaystyle (-1)^2+y^2+6(-1)+8y+12=0\)
\(\displaystyle 1+y^2-6+8y+12=0\)
\(\displaystyle y^2+8y+7=0\)
(y + 1) (y + 7) = 0
y = -1 or y = -7
Then what?

There's an error in the above. Can you spot it?

Yes, the typo in my very first step.

Related to What Is the Correct Equation for the Tangent of a Circle at a Given Point?

What is the tangent of a circle?

The tangent of a circle is a line that intersects the circle at exactly one point, known as the point of tangency. This line is perpendicular to the radius of the circle at the point of tangency.

How is the tangent of a circle calculated?

The tangent of a circle can be calculated using the formula tangent = opposite/adjacent, where the opposite side is the length of the line from the center of the circle to the point of tangency, and the adjacent side is the radius of the circle.

What is the relationship between the tangent of a circle and its radius?

The tangent of a circle is directly related to its radius. As the radius increases, the tangent of the circle also increases. Similarly, if the radius decreases, the tangent of the circle decreases as well.

Can the tangent of a circle be negative?

Yes, the tangent of a circle can be negative. This occurs when the line of the tangent is below the x-axis on a coordinate plane. In this case, the tangent is considered to be negative.

What is the significance of the tangent of a circle in mathematics?

The tangent of a circle has many applications in mathematics, including in trigonometry, calculus, and geometry. It is also used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and astronomy.