HELP, need velocity from force and mass

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving projectile motion and the need to calculate the initial velocity using Matlab code. The problem involves variables such as force, mass, and angle above the horizontal. It is mentioned that for a force that acts at a single instant to produce a change in velocity, the force has to be infinitely large. The conversation also touches on the issue of "double posting" and the need to avoid it.
ginnerpip
I have big problem,

In a projectile motion problem, we are given a variables for force applied (instantaneous not continuious), mass of object, and angle above horizontial.

For my Matlab code (program like visual basic) i need to get the initial velocity, BUT HOW!

I know the initial acceleration of the object (F/m), but because the force is instantaneous, does this convert to velocity, or not?

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In order for a force that only acts at a single instant to produce a change in an object's velocity, the force has to be infinitely large.
Is that what you have been given?

arildno said:
In order for a force that only acts at a single instant to produce a change in an object's velocity, the force has to be infinitely large.
Is that what you have been given?

And, by the way, Please do not "double post". I answered this (giving basically the same answer as arildno) where you posted it under "Physics".

1. How do you calculate velocity from force and mass?

Velocity can be calculated by dividing the force by the mass. The equation for this is: velocity = force / mass.

2. What units should be used for force and mass in the velocity equation?

Force is typically measured in Newtons (N) and mass is measured in kilograms (kg). Therefore, the units for velocity would be meters per second (m/s).

3. What if I only have the force in pounds (lbs) and the mass in grams (g)?

In order to use the velocity equation, you will need to convert the units to the standard units of Newtons (N) and kilograms (kg). You can do this by using conversion factors or an online unit converter.

4. Is velocity the same as speed?

No, velocity and speed are not the same. Velocity is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's movement.

5. Can you use this equation to calculate the velocity of any object?

Yes, this equation can be used to calculate the velocity of any object as long as you have the force and mass values. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes constant acceleration and does not take into account other factors such as air resistance.