Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[ASK]Quadratic Inequation (log_2x)^2+4>5log_7x+log_3x^2

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
How to solve this?
\(\displaystyle (log_2x)^2+4>5log_7x+log_3x^2\)
This is what I've done so far (attached):

How to solve the quadratic inequation formed? Factorization is an obvious no, and the quadratic formula will just make everything messier, is there any other way?

Attachments

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
Your use of a superscript-prefix for logarithm base, [tex]^3log x[/tex], rather than a subsript, [tex]log_3(x)[/tex], is a bit confusing and sometimes very misleading as what should be [tex]2 log_3(x)[/tex] is given as [tex]2^3 log(x)[/tex] where the base of the logarithm looks like an exponent on 2. In any case, if I am reading it correctly you wind up with [tex]4(log_x(2))^2- (5 log_7(2)+ 2log_3(2)) log_x(2)+ 1> 0[/tex]. I would write that [tex]4y^2- by+ 1> 0[/tex] with [tex]y= log_3(x)[/tex] and b= 5 log7(2)+ 2log3(2) which is approximately 3.04.

By the quadratic formula, y is 0 for [tex]\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^2- 4}}{8}[/tex]. Since the leading coefficient of the quadratic is positive, the graph of the quadratic is a parabola opening upward. The inequality will be satisfied for [tex]y= log_x(2)= \frac{ln(x)}{ln(2)}> \frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2- 4}}{8}[/tex] or [tex]y= log_x(2)= \frac{ln(x)}{ln(2)}< \frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2- 4}}{8}[/tex]. Since ln(2) is positive, that is the same as [tex]ln(x)>
\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2- 4}}{8}
[/tex] so [tex]x> e^{\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2- 4}}{8}}[/tex]
and [tex]x< e^{ln(2)\frac{-b-\sqrt{b^2- 4}}{8}}[/tex]
. Use b= 3.04, approximately, to get a numeric answer if you need it.

Last edited:

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
Since ln(2) is positive, that is the same as [tex]ln(x)>
\frac{-b+\sqrt{b^2- 4}}{8}
How did the ln(2) vanish just because it's positive? Also, are you sure that what's in the square roots should be \(\displaystyle b^2-4\) instead of \(\displaystyle b^2-16\)?