Return of the King: Early Reviews, Trilogy Marathon Tonight!

• Thread starter mikehuntsloose
  • Start date
In summary: Originally posted by Zantra Not to say they zilched the character completely. In the extended version of Two Towers, Old Man Willow is move to Fangorn, and Treebeard is given some of Tom's dialogue. In summary, the year long wait is over! It has been getting excellent early reviews (not that it wasnt expected). Anybody going to the LOTR trilogy marathon tonite? I would be going if I didnt have a damn philosophy final tommorrow morning. O well, I still bought tickets for wed, thurs, and fri.
mikehuntsloose
Finally the year long wait is over! It has been getting excellent early reviews (not that it wasnt expected). Anybody going to the LOTR trilogy marathon tonite? I would be going if I didnt have a damn philosophy final tommorrow morning. O well, I still bought tickets for wed, thurs, and fri.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought about going to the trilogy marathon, but there's simply no way I could sit still that long.

That being said, I do have tickets for tomorrow night at 11:15!

I can't wait to see the final battle scene...

Originally posted by The_Professional
I can't wait to see the final battle scene...

And I thought the battle in the Two Towers was awesome. This one will make that seem like a schoolyard quarrel.

I'm going to try for the first movie tonight at midnight.. Should be cool:)

Just got back. It is a gem. I feared they would butcher the books, simply because there was SO much stuff to tell in the last movie. They did just fine, altough the story had to be adapted a little.

A must see!

saw it.. the movie rocked...

just saw it and I'm floored, extremely impressed. the battle scences were godly

Has anyone else read the simmarils? I read the first 4 books back when I was a kid. When the movies came out, I discovered the "prequel" to that. It was a very good read, I thought.I would almost say it's MORE epic than the LOTR/hobbit series, because there's more to it. I'd love to the defeat of the first dark lord, and the coming of the ainur and first elves put on screen. Anyone else read it?

I have read the books twice and I am going to see return of the king tomorrow night and i can't wait to see how the final battle is. in the book it was amazing so in the movie its going to be awesome. I love those movies.

Originally posted by Zantra
Has anyone else read the simmarils?

it's called the the silmarillion. I have read it. It was a great book. It cool to see that on screen but I think it sould be a movie. It pobably would fit a TV series better.

I am also reading the unfinished tales. These are tales taken from the silmarillion. It pretty good also. LOTR and the hobbit make more sense when you read the prequel bookc.

Just can't wait to see ROTK, battles will be great but hopefully it will not have too many of its useless cahnge like the enphasis on the love story.

It is unfortunate that they cut the scene of Saruman (battling it out with Gandalf?).
I can't wait for the DVD!

I'm going to watch this movie again.

The also cut out the part when the hobbits go back to the shire to find out it has been taken over by sleezy men and find out Saruman is behind it all. But it was really long and if they put in everything i would still be there right now. All in all it was one of the best movies i have ever seen :)

The part I think they should have left in was Tom Bombadil and the lady of the rivers. He's the coolest character. He's somehow unaffected by the powers of the ring, and he alludes to being hte oldest thing on middle earth. He was never explained by Tolkein either, except to say that he was meant to be an enigma. It was speculated that he was a maiar or a Valar, but no one knows for sure.

Originally posted by Zantra
The part I think they should have left in was Tom Bombadil and the lady of the rivers. He's the coolest character. He's somehow unaffected by the powers of the ring, and he alludes to being hte oldest thing on middle earth. He was never explained by Tolkein either, except to say that he was meant to be an enigma. It was speculated that he was a maiar or a Valar, but no one knows for sure.

Of all the things left out in translation from book to movie, I think this was one of the best decisions made.

This whole section does nothing to advance the story, tells you nothing you need to know later, and introduces a character which never shows up again or has any effect on the outcome.

The real purpose this section of the book has is to stress how inept the hobbits are in taking care of themselves at the begining, something you just can't afford to spend that much time on in a movie.

Not to say they zilched the character completely. In the extended version of Two Towers, Old Man Willow is move to Fangorn, and Treebeard is given some of Tom's dialogue.

As to the "Scouring of the Shire", in a movie, this would have been anti-climactic.

Just wait for the extended version to come out.

That was a damn fine film, spent 3 hours in a really uncomfortable seat but didnt notice just how uncomfortable it was until the very end. Truly amazing.

1. What is the overall consensus among early reviews of "Return of the King"?

Early reviews of "Return of the King" are overwhelmingly positive, with many critics praising it as the best film in the trilogy and one of the greatest fantasy films of all time. Some have even called it a masterpiece and a fitting conclusion to the epic saga.

2. How does "Return of the King" compare to the other films in the trilogy?

Many critics and fans consider "Return of the King" to be the best film in the trilogy, both in terms of storytelling and technical achievement. It also received the most Academy Award nominations and went on to win 11 Oscars, tying the record for the most wins by a single film.

3. Is there anything different or new in the extended edition of "Return of the King"?

Yes, the extended edition of "Return of the King" includes approximately 50 minutes of additional footage, including new scenes and extended versions of existing scenes. These additions provide more depth and context to the story and characters.

4. Can I watch the "Return of the King" trilogy marathon tonight without having seen the previous two films?

While it is possible to enjoy "Return of the King" as a standalone film, it is highly recommended to watch the previous two films in the trilogy ("The Fellowship of the Ring" and "The Two Towers") in order to fully understand and appreciate the story and characters.

5. Does "Return of the King" stay true to the source material?

Overall, "Return of the King" follows the plot of the book by J.R.R. Tolkien closely. However, there are some changes and adaptations made for the film, including the omission of certain characters and events. These changes were made to streamline the story for the screen and are generally well-received by both fans and critics.

Back