What is the concentration of the HCl solution?

• Thread starter Jaramide
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
HClIn summary, the conversation is about a student needing help to calculate the concentration of HCl in a beaker using the amount of NaOH needed to neutralize it. They have asked for assistance on a forum and have been given a hint to help them with the calculation. The student is feeling frustrated and worried about not getting a grade in chemistry if they don't complete the assignment today. The summary also includes the steps to calculate the concentration of HCl.
Jaramide
I need to return an asignment today and i just can't figure it out (should be a piece of cake for the people that hangs around here)

There is 10ml HCl with an unknown concentration i a beaker. You let NaOH with the concentration 0,100 mol/dm3 drip into the acid until it is neutralized.
It takes 10,5ml NaOH to neutralize the acid.

With this you should be able to calculate the concentration of the acid or so my teacher say. And all i can do is sit here and look dumb while my brain refuses to cooperate

Could anyone help me i would owe you a life debt. If i don't get this in today i won't get a grade in chemistry

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have posted hint at https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=115160#post115160

10.5mL is 0.0105L

mols of NaOH:
0.0105L x 0.1mol/L = 1.05 x 10^-3 mols NaOH

mols of HCl:
1molHCl/1molNaOH * 1.05 x 10^-3 mols NaOH = 1.05 x 10^-3 mol HCl

concentration:
(1.05 x 10^-3 mol HCl) / 0.01L = 0.105 mol/L

What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. It is a branch of science that deals with the composition, structure, and behavior of substances.

What are the basic concepts of chemistry?

The basic concepts of chemistry include atoms, elements, compounds, molecules, reactions, and the periodic table. These concepts help us understand the composition, structure, and behavior of matter.

What are the three states of matter?

The three states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. Solids have a fixed shape and volume, liquids have a fixed volume but take the shape of their container, and gases have neither a fixed shape nor volume.

What is the difference between a physical and chemical change?

A physical change is a change in the physical properties of a substance, such as shape, size, or state, without altering its chemical composition. A chemical change, on the other hand, results in the formation of new substances with different chemical properties.

How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. This is achieved by adjusting the coefficients in front of the chemical formulas. The law of conservation of mass states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction, so the number of atoms must be the same on both sides.