Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[ASK] How to Read A'?

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
If an ABC triangle is transformed, the result will be triangle A'B'C'. In my country, A' is read as "A accent". However, when I saw this transformation video (Video: Transformations - Translation, Reflection, Dilation, and Rotation | Educational Video | WatchKnowLearn Educational Videos | WatchKnowLearn), they seem to pronounce A' as "A prime", "A point", "A prune", "A plum", whichever was right since I suck at English-listening. So, can you people tell me what exactly do they say how to pronounce A'?

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Leeds, UK
If an ABC triangle is transformed, the result will be triangle A'B'C'. In my country, A' is read as "A accent". However, when I saw this transformation video (Video: Transformations - Translation, Reflection, Dilation, and Rotation | Educational Video | WatchKnowLearn Educational Videos | WatchKnowLearn), they seem to pronounce A' as "A prime", "A point", "A prune", "A plum", whichever was right since I suck at English-listening. So, can you people tell me what exactly do they say how to pronounce A'?
In American English it would be "A prime". In British English it would be more usual to say "A dash".

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
Ah, thank you.

Did someone edit my post?

Olinguito

Apr 22, 2018
I pronounce it “A prime”. (“A dash” sounds funny to me – it would appear to refer to something like A—.)

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Leeds, UK
I pronounce it “A prime”. (“A dash” sounds funny to me – it would appear to refer to something like A—.)
Chambers dictionary gives one of the meanings of dash as "an acute accent used in algebra and in lettering of diagrams as a discriminating mark". But perhaps that is now a bit out of date – I suspect that younger people may be more likely to call it a prime.