Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

[ASK] Find the ratio of the area of triangle BCH and triangle EHD

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
A parallelogram ABCD has angle A = angle C = 45°. Circle K with the center C intercept the parallelogram through B and D. AD is extended so that it intercepts the circle at E and BE intercepts CD at H. The ratio of the area of triangle BCH and triangle EHD is ....

Here I got that triangle BCH and triangle EHD is similar with angle BCH = angle HDE = 45°, angle CHB = angle DHE = 112.5°, and angle CBH = angle DEH = 22.5°. The area of triangle BCH is ½ × CH × h, where h is the parallelogram's height. The area of triangle EHD is ½ × (r - CH) × r. I stuck at the ratio is (CH × h) : ((r - CH) × r). How do I simplify that? Problem is, I don't know CD's length, so I can't approximate the ratio between CH and DH.

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
North Texas
A parallelogram ABCD has angle A = angle C = 45°. Circle K with the center C intercept the parallelogram through B and D. AD is extended so that it intercepts the circle at E and BE intercepts CD at H. The ratio of the area of triangle BCH and triangle EHD is ....
Note parallelogram ABCD is a rhombus with side length $r$ ...

(area of BCH)/(area of EHD) = $\dfrac{r^2}{(r\sqrt{2})^2} = \dfrac{1}{2}$

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
How did you get area of BCH and area of EHD?

skeeter

MHB Math Helper
Mar 1, 2012
North Texas
How did you get area of BCH and area of EHD?
I didn't get the areas ... I determined the ratio of their respective areas.

From the diagram, let triangle BCH have base r with a perpendicular height h. Since triangle EHD is similar, its corresponding base is r√2 with corresponding height h√2.

$\dfrac{\text{area of BCH}}{\text{area of EHD}} = \dfrac{\frac{1}{2}r \cdot h}{\frac{1}{2} r\sqrt{2} \cdot h\sqrt{2}}$

now ... simplify the right side of the above equation.

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015
1 : 2