[ASK] Exact Measure Using Two Bottles

• MHB
  • Thread starter Monoxdifly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measure
In summary, the person can measure any integer from 1-8 liters of water using only two 5-liter and 3-liter bottles. They can do this by following specific steps for each amount, such as filling and emptying the bottles multiple times. Additionally, the expert on summarizing content is also active on other forums, including non-math ones.
Monoxdifly
MHB
Someone wants to take 4 liters of water, but he only has two 5-liters and 3-liters bottles. How is he able to measure 4 liters with only those bottles?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can in fact make any integer 1–8 litres of water using just those two bottles.

1 litre:
  • Fill up the 5ℓ bottle, and use it to fill up the 3ℓ bottle.
  • Empty the 3ℓ bottle, and transfer the contents of the other bottle to it.
  • Fill up the 5ℓ bottle again, and use to top up the 3ℓ bottle.
  • Empty the 3ℓ bottle, and fill it up again with the contents of the other bottle. There will now be exactly 1 litre of water in the 5ℓ bottle.

2 litres:
As for the 1-litre scenario, but stop after the first step. There will be exactly 2 litres of water in the 5ℓ bottle.

3 litres:
Just fill up the 3ℓ bottle.

4 litres:
As for the 1-litre scenario, but stop after the third step. There will be exactly 4 litres of water in the 5ℓ bottle.

5 litres:
Just fill up the 5ℓ bottle.

6 litres:
Fill up the 3ℓ bottle, empty it into the 5ℓ bottle, then fill up the 3ℓ bottle again. There will be a total of 6 litres of water in both bottles.

7 litres:
As for the 1-litre scenario, but after the second step just fill up the 5ℓ bottle. There will be a total of 7 litres of water in both bottles.

8 litres:
Fill up both bottles.

Last edited:
Thanks, Olinguito!

Btw, I have remembered when I saw you in another forum. When I was browsing old threads at MIF, I saw your account there.

Yes, I’m on various forums (including some non-math ones). (Nod)

Which non-math forums are you in?

Related to [ASK] Exact Measure Using Two Bottles

1. How can I measure the exact volume using only two bottles?

To measure the exact volume using two bottles, you will need to have one bottle with a known volume and another bottle with an unknown volume. Pour the liquid from the unknown bottle into the known bottle until it reaches the same level as the known bottle. The volume of liquid poured from the unknown bottle is equal to its volume.

2. Can any type of bottle be used for this measurement method?

Yes, any type of bottle can be used as long as it has a known or marked volume. This method works best with bottles that have a narrow opening to ensure more accurate measurements.

3. Is this method accurate for measuring both liquids and solids?

This method is best suited for measuring liquids. It can also be used for measuring small solids, such as beads or grains, as long as they can fit through the opening of the bottles.

4. Are there any limitations to this measurement method?

One limitation of this method is that it may not be accurate for measuring very small volumes. The accuracy also depends on the precision of the markings on the bottles. Additionally, this method may not be suitable for measuring highly viscous liquids or substances that do not flow easily.

5. How can I increase the accuracy of this measurement method?

To increase the accuracy of this method, you can use bottles with smaller volumes, which will result in smaller increments when pouring from the unknown bottle. You can also repeat the process multiple times and take the average of the measurements for a more precise result.