As a CS student I am required to take a two part physics course.

In summary: After a while I just stopped hiring comp. sci. majors. A software engineer should be able to think about problems in any language, not just the ones they're familiar with.In summary, a software engineer typically consists of solving problems. Just coding things is a side effect. The computer scientists used to come knowing lots about scripting languages, writing compilers, Rails, Java, C#, LINQ, and so forth. Unfortunately for them, coding for financial mathematics relies almost exclusively on C++, and the C++ code they wrote was generally absolute garbage. However, the physicists/mathematicians came to us knowing an awful lot less about programming than their comp. sci. counterparts. However, they were infinitely better at sitting down
Disowned
Will it be of any use to me if I just want to be a software engineer (which typical just consist of me coding things?)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Being a software engineer typically consists of solving problems. Just coding things is a side effect.

It's probably going to be of more use than your compiler class (when are you goign to write a compiler?) or most of your algorithms class (when are you going to write your own sort routine?).

The logic of physics and coding are very similar. In all reality, coding would be much better if more people used a scientific method-type approach to coding.

wxrocks said:
The logic of physics and coding are very similar. In all reality, coding would be much better if more people used a scientific method-type approach to coding.

Amen. After I finished my Ph. D. I, like so many others, went to work for a hedge fund. As ours was focused almost entirely on algorithmic trading we had quite a few programmers on the payroll to handle things like model validation for the quants. After a while I noticed that the ones who were excellent at their jobs were people with backgrounds in physics or mathematics; the ones who were terrible (and were, generally, fired after only a couple of months) were all comp. sci. majors.

The computer scientists used to come knowing lots about scripting languages, writing compilers, Rails, Java, C#, LINQ, and so forth. Unfortunately for them, coding for financial mathematics relies almost exclusively on C++, and the C++ code they wrote was generally absolute garbage.

On the other hand, the physicists/mathematicians came to us knowing an awful lot less about programming than their comp. sci. counterparts. However, they were infinitely better at sitting down and thinking about a problem in detail, which is far more valuable a skill than knowing the nuances of, say, PHP or Perl. The code that the physics/maths people wrote was generally far superior also since they seemed to have a natural willingness to think about type-safety, memory management, and computational efficiency.

And you wouldn't believe how many times I've sat in interviews with alleged "computer scientists" who don't know anything about random number generation or propagation round-off errors.

Related to As a CS student I am required to take a two part physics course.

1. How does physics relate to computer science?

Physics and computer science are closely related fields as they both rely on mathematical principles and problem-solving skills. In computer science, understanding the laws of physics can help with the development of algorithms and simulations. Additionally, many technological advancements, such as computers and smartphones, are made possible by the principles of physics.

2. What topics are typically covered in a two part physics course for CS students?

A two part physics course for CS students will cover the fundamental principles of classical and modern physics. Topics may include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. These topics will be approached from a mathematical and computational perspective to relate them to computer science principles.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge in physics to take this course?

No, prior knowledge in physics is not required for this course. However, a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills will be helpful. The course will cover the necessary physics concepts needed to understand how they relate to computer science.

4. How will this physics course benefit me as a CS student?

Understanding the principles of physics can greatly benefit a CS student in many ways. It can help with developing algorithms and simulations, as well as understanding how technology works. Additionally, it can enhance problem-solving skills and provide a deeper understanding of the world around us.

5. What can I expect from the lab component of this physics course?

The lab component of this physics course will provide hands-on experience with conducting experiments and applying physics principles to solve real-world problems. It will also involve using computational tools and software to analyze data and simulate physical phenomena. The lab component will enhance the theoretical concepts learned in the lecture portion of the course.