What is Arzela's Lemma in Fichtengoltz's Book?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Also sprach Zarathustra
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Russian
In summary, the conversation is about a lemma and its proof from Fichtengoltz's book, and the request for help in translating the lines and understanding the bolded parts. The lemma states that if the sum of interval lengths in each system is greater than a constant positive number, there exists at least one point that belongs to an infinite number of systems. The proof explains how intervals from previous systems are considered as separate intervals in the current system, even if they overlap. The conversation also includes a note about the possible translation of "не налегаюшие друг на друга промежутки."
Also sprach Zarathustra
Hello!

I've a problem understanding the following lines(Arzela lemma, and first two sentences of a proof) from Fichtengoltz's book.

I know, that some(2 members?) of you know Russian, help me please translate these line into English, with a short explanation on bold lines.

Пусть конечном промежутке $[a,b]$ содержатся системы $D_1,D_2,...,D_k,...$ промежутков, каждая из которых состоит из конечного числа не налегаюших друг на друга замкнутых промежутков. Если сумма длин промежутков каждой системы $D_k$ $(k=1,2,3,...)$ больше некторого постояного положительного числа $\delta$, то найдется, по крайней мере, одна точка $x=c$, принадлежащая бесконечному множеству систем $D_k$

Доказательство:
Если промежуток какой-нибудь системы $D_k$ $(k>1)$ налегает на промежутки предшествующих систем $D_1,D_2,...,D_{k-1}$и их концами делится на части, то эти части мы впредь будем расматривать как отдельные промежутки системы $D_k$
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let the finite interval [a, b] contain the systems (i.e., sets) $D_1,D_2,\dots,D_k,\dots$ of intervals, each of which consists of a finite number of non-overlapping closed intervals. If the sum of interval lengths of each system $D_k$ ($k=1,2,3,\dots$) is greater than some fixed positive number $\delta$, then there exists at least one point x = c that belongs to an infinite set (i.e., number) of systems $D_k$.

Proof:
If an interval of some system $D_k$ (k > 1) overlaps with intervals from the preceding systems $D_1,D_2,\dots,D_{k-1}$ and is divided into parts by their ends, then we will consider these parts as separate intervals of the system $D_k$. (End of translation.)

At first I thought that "не налегаюшие друг на друга промежутки" means "disjoint intervals," but probably the right translation is "non-overlapping intervals." In the proof, when a point (the end of an interval from a preceding system) divides an interval from $D_k$ into two parts, both parts are considered elements of $D_k$. But since $D_k$ by assumption contains closed intervals, the two parts will not be disjoint, but will not "налегать друг на друга," i.e., will not overlap.

Hi there!

I'm not familiar with Fichtengoltz's book, but I can try to help translate the lines for you. Here's my attempt:

Let $[a,b]$ be a finite interval containing systems $D_1,D_2,...,D_k,...$ of intervals, each of which consists of a finite number of non-overlapping closed intervals. If the sum of the lengths of each system $D_k$ $(k=1,2,3,...)$ is greater than some constant positive number $\delta$, then there exists at least one point $x=c$, belonging to an infinite number of systems $D_k$.

Proof:
If an interval in any system $D_k$ $(k>1)$ overlaps with the intervals of the previous systems $D_1,D_2,...,D_{k-1}$ and is divided by their endpoints, then we will consider these parts as separate intervals of the system $D_k$.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you need any further clarification.

Related to What is Arzela's Lemma in Fichtengoltz's Book?

1. What is Arzela's lemma?

Arzela's lemma, also known as the Arzela-Ascoli theorem, is a fundamental result in real analysis that characterizes the compactness of a set of functions. It states that a set of continuous functions on a compact metric space is compact if and only if it is equicontinuous and pointwise bounded.

2. Who is Arzela and why is this lemma named after him?

Maurice Fréchet Arzela was an Italian mathematician who first stated and proved the lemma in 1906. He was a pioneer in functional analysis and made significant contributions to the study of partial differential equations.

3. What is the significance of Arzela's lemma in mathematics?

Arzela's lemma is an essential tool in the study of compactness of sets of functions and is widely used in functional analysis, topology, and differential equations. It is also a key result in the proofs of other important theorems, such as the Ascoli-Arzela theorem and the Banach-Saks theorem.

4. Are there any generalizations of Arzela's lemma?

Yes, there are several generalizations of Arzela's lemma that extend its applicability to more general sets of functions, such as vector-valued functions or functions defined on non-compact spaces. Some notable generalizations include the Banach-Alaoglu theorem and the Dunford-Pettis theorem.

5. Is there a geometric interpretation of Arzela's lemma?

Yes, there is a geometric interpretation of Arzela's lemma in terms of the compactness of sets of curves in a metric space. This interpretation is particularly useful in the study of differential equations, where it can be used to prove the existence of solutions.

Back