Article that Explains IGBT well

In summary, the conversation was about an undergraduate student struggling to understand IGBT. They mentioned understanding the basic principle but having trouble explaining how it works. They asked for a straightforward article to better understand the device. The responder suggested checking Wikipedia's article on IGBT for a clear explanation.
GreenPrint
Hi,

I'm an undergraduate EE major and am having trouble understanding IGBT. I understand the basic principle, a PNP transistor in ? (forgot the name) configuration with a MOSFET with a parasitic NPN transistor. I understand that it's a 4 layered device.

I however think I would struggle trying to explain how it exactly works. Can anybody direct me to a very easy to understand article on IGBT? I have found many that covers various things, but I can't find a article that's very straight forward and direct on explaining how exactly these devices work.

Thanks,

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Article that Explains IGBT well

1. What is an IGBT and how does it work?

An IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) is a type of semiconductor device used for power control and switching. It combines the features of a MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) and a bipolar transistor. The IGBT operates by controlling the flow of current between the collector and emitter terminals using a gate voltage, which is controlled by a small current flowing through the gate terminal.

2. What are the advantages of using IGBTs?

IGBTs have several advantages compared to other power switching devices such as thyristors or MOSFETs. These include higher current and voltage ratings, lower switching losses, and better thermal stability. IGBTs also have a fast switching speed and can be turned on and off easily using small gate currents.

3. What are the main applications of IGBTs?

IGBTs are commonly used in high power applications, such as motor control, power supplies, and renewable energy systems. They are also used in electronic devices that require high switching frequencies, such as inverters and converters.

4. How do IGBTs differ from MOSFETs and thyristors?

IGBTs have a unique structure that combines the advantages of both MOSFETs and thyristors. They have a MOSFET-like gate structure for easy control, but also have a bipolar transistor-like structure for handling higher currents. This makes IGBTs more efficient and reliable for high power applications compared to MOSFETs and thyristors.

5. What are the key factors to consider when selecting an IGBT for a specific application?

The key factors to consider when selecting an IGBT include the maximum voltage and current ratings, switching speed, and thermal characteristics. Other important factors include the gate drive requirements, on-state voltage drop, and cost. It is also important to consider the specific application and its requirements to ensure the IGBT chosen is suitable for the desired performance and reliability.