Article: Robot Reveals the Inner Workings of Brain Cells

In summary: Kodandaramaiah and his colleagues have developed a robotic arm that lowers a glass pipette into the brain of an anesthetized mouse with micrometer accuracy. As it moves, the pipette monitors a property called electrical impedance - a measure of how difficult it is for electricity to flow out of the pipette. If there are no cells around, electricity flows and impedance is low. When the tip hits a cell, electricity can't flow as well and impedance goes up. The pipette takes two-micrometer steps, measuring impedance 10 times per second. Once it detects a cell, it can stop instantly, preventing it from poking through the membrane. This is something a robot can do that a human can't.
ThinkToday
http://www.gatech.edu/newsroom/release.html?nid=128531

Browsing the alumni stuff, I see things that make me wish I were back in school. You kids and faculty are so lucky to be able to do this kind of stuff every day. I have serious envy! Alas, wife, kids, house, bills, argh. Nothing but work in my near future. I will be one of those old people that retires spending their free time learning in college, again.

Biology news on Phys.org
Kodandaramaiah, Boyden and Forest set out to automate a 30-year-old technique known as whole-cell patch clamping, which involves bringing a tiny hollow glass pipette in contact with the cell membrane of a neuron, then opening up a small pore in the membrane to record the electrical activity within the cell. This skill usually takes a graduate student or postdoc several months to learn.

Kodandaramaiah spent about four months learning the manual patch-clamp technique, giving him an appreciation for its difficulty. “When I got reasonably good at it, I could sense that even though it is an art form, it can be reduced to a set of stereotyped tasks and decisions that could be executed by a robot,” he says.

To that end, Kodandaramaiah and his colleagues built a robotic arm that lowers a glass pipette into the brain of an anesthetized mouse with micrometer accuracy. As it moves, the pipette monitors a property called electrical impedance — a measure of how difficult it is for electricity to flow out of the pipette. If there are no cells around, electricity flows and impedance is low. When the tip hits a cell, electricity can’t flow as well and impedance goes up.

The pipette takes two-micrometer steps, measuring impedance 10 times per second. Once it detects a cell, it can stop instantly, preventing it from poking through the membrane. “This is something a robot can do that a human can’t,” Boyden says.

Once the pipette finds a cell, it applies suction to form a seal with the cell’s membrane. Then, the electrode can break through the membrane to record the cell’s internal electrical activity. The robotic system can detect cells with 90 percent accuracy, and establish a connection with the detected cells about 40 percent of the time.

This is quite a shortcut!

Related to Article: Robot Reveals the Inner Workings of Brain Cells

1. What is the purpose of the robot in the article?

The robot is used to reveal the inner workings of brain cells by studying their electrical activity and communication patterns.

2. How does the robot work?

The robot uses tiny electrodes to measure the electrical activity of brain cells and translates the data into a visual representation, allowing scientists to observe and analyze the cells' behavior.

3. What is the significance of this research?

Understanding the inner workings of brain cells could provide valuable insights into the functioning of the brain and potentially lead to new treatments for neurological disorders.

4. What type of brain cells does the robot study?

The robot can study various types of brain cells, including neurons and glial cells, which are responsible for communication and support within the brain.

5. What are the limitations of using a robot in this type of research?

While the robot allows for more precise and efficient data collection, it is limited in its ability to replicate the complex environment and interactions within the brain. Human researchers are still needed to interpret and analyze the data collected by the robot.

Back