Arran's question at Yahoo Answers (linear system)

In summary, if you have a pair of coupled differential equations with a matrix of coefficients that has complex eigenvalues, you can still solve the equations by finding eigenvectors and using the exponential matrix of the coefficient matrix. The general solution can be written as a combination of the exponential matrix and constants.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

I'm trying to solve the coupled differential equations: dx/dt=x+4y and dy/dt=-5x+5y, but if you put the coefficients of x and y into a matrix, it gives complex Eigenvalues. So how do I solve the equations? Thanks for your help.

Here is a link to the question:

How do you solve a pair of coupled differential equations where the matrix of coeffs has complex Eigenvalues? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Arran,

The system can be written as $$\begin{bmatrix}{x'}\\{y'}\end{bmatrix}=A \begin{bmatrix}{x}\\{y}\end{bmatrix}\mbox{ with } A=\begin{bmatrix}{\;\;1}&{4}\\{-5}&{5}\end{bmatrix}$$
The eigenvalues of $A$ are $3\pm 4i$ (simple) so, $A$ is diagonalizable on $\mathbb{C}$. Now find an eigenvector $v_1$ associated to $3+4i$ and another one $v_2$ associated to $3-4i$. If $P=[v_1\;\;v_2]$ then, $$P^{-1}AP=D=\begin{bmatrix}{3+4i}&{0}\\{0}&{3-4i}\end{bmatrix}$$ The exponential matrix of $A$ is $e^{tA}=Pe^{tD}P^{-1}$. The general solution of the system is $$\begin{bmatrix}{x}\\{y}\end{bmatrix}=e^{tA} \begin{bmatrix}{C_1}\\{C_2}\end{bmatrix}\quad (C_1,C_2\in\mathbb{R})$$

P.S. Here you can test your result for $e^{tA}$

MatrixExp ({{t,4t},{-5t,5t}}) - Wolfram|Alpha

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Arran's question at Yahoo Answers (linear system)

1. What is a linear system?

A linear system is a set of equations that can be written in the form of y = mx + b, where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, m is the slope, and b is the y-intercept. It represents a relationship between two variables that can be graphed as a straight line.

2. What is the importance of solving linear systems?

Solving linear systems is important in many fields of study, including mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to find the value of unknown variables and make predictions about the relationship between different quantities.

3. What methods can be used to solve linear systems?

There are several methods that can be used to solve linear systems, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. Each method has its own advantages and is useful in different situations.

4. How do you know if a linear system has one solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions?

A linear system has one solution if the lines intersect at one point, no solution if the lines are parallel and do not intersect, and infinitely many solutions if the lines are identical and overlap. This can be determined by graphing the equations or by using algebraic methods.

5. Can linear systems be solved with more than two variables?

Yes, linear systems can be solved with any number of variables. However, as the number of variables increases, the complexity of the system also increases, and it may be more difficult to find a solution. In these cases, advanced mathematical techniques such as matrix operations may be used to solve the system.