Arranging Charged Objects to Exert Forces

In summary: You need to find a distance of A from B where they exert 0.00675 N on each other, which will be on a 1 dimensional axis, then add C somewhere along this line so that is equally attracted/repulsed and it cannot be between A and B since one of the objects repels it and the other attracts it.In summary, you need to find a distance of C from A and B so that the total force exerted on it is 0 N.
runningirl

Homework Statement

1.) You have three charged objects: A; B; and C. Given that qA = 2.0 C; qB = - 3.0 C; and qC = -4.0 C, how could you arrange A, B, and C so that:
a. The force that A exerts on B is equal to .00675 N.
b. The net force exerted on C is 0.0 N.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

..i have no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \vec{F} = q \vec{E}, \vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} [/tex]

You need to find a distance of A from B where they exert 0.00675 N on each other, which will be on a 1 dimensional axis, then add C somewhere along this line so that is equally attracted/repulsed and it cannot be between A and B since one of the objects repels it and the other attracts it.

Hi Runningirl.

consider point A at origin. and B on x axis, with abscissa x. then solve the force equation. Now place C at X2 distance from A and (x + X2) from B, and solve to find X2. (keeping the above reason by Bhumble in mind).

can i do .00675=9*10^9(2.0 )(3.0 )/d^2... find d for distance between a and b.
but how do i find the C distance?

Bhumble said:
[tex] \vec{F} = q \vec{E}, \vec{E} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} [/tex]

You need to find a distance of A from B where they exert 0.00675 N on each other, which will be on a 1 dimensional axis, then add C somewhere along this line so that is equally attracted/repulsed and it cannot be between A and B since one of the objects repels it and the other attracts it.

Sorry, but I don't understand where I could put C.

consider C at X2. C cannot be between A and B. So once consider C on other side of A, next on the other side of B.

does it matter how far away it is from a or b? because i said it didn't.

of course it matters. it is affected by the electric fields of both A and B.

right..
i understand that c has to be an X2 distance, but how do i find that x2 distance?

Two things to note is that superposition is applicable to the electric field and that the force on A from B is equal to the force on B from A.

For part (a) what you need to do is solve for r, which is the distance between the two point charges. [tex] \vec{F} = .00675 N = \frac{q_A q_B}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} [/tex]

For part (b) it is essentially the same thing but you need to consider the distance of C from both A and B as well as determining the total force due to both of their individual forces. So
[tex] \vec{F} = 0 N = \frac{q_A q_C}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} + \frac{q_B q_C}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\hat{r}}{r^2} [/tex]
I didn't specify very well in the above formula but r is a different value in the two summations so when you solve the problem use better nomenclature than I did.

So, have you found the distance that's needed between qA and qB?

Next, think about this:
The magnitude of the force that qA exerts on qC has to be equal to the magnitude of the force that qB exerts on qC. (The forces just need to be in opposite directions.)

So, should qC be closer to qA or to qB?​

shouldn't qc be closer to qa?
when i found the distance i said that d^2=some neg number so i think i did something wrong.
but i believe i had the right method.

.00675=9*10^9(2)(-3)/d^2

Related to Arranging Charged Objects to Exert Forces

1. How do charged objects exert forces on each other?

Charged objects exert forces on each other through the electromagnetic force. This force is caused by the interaction between electrically charged particles, such as protons and electrons.

2. What is the relationship between the distance and force between two charged objects?

The force between two charged objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force between them decreases.

3. Can charged objects with the same charge attract each other?

No, charged objects with the same charge will repel each other. This is because like charges repel and opposite charges attract.

4. How do you arrange charged objects to create a net force?

To create a net force, you can arrange charged objects so that their charges are opposite and their distances are unequal. The force between the objects will then be unbalanced, resulting in a net force.

5. What is the difference between electrostatic and electromagnetic forces?

Electrostatic forces are caused by the interaction between stationary charged particles, while electromagnetic forces can also include the effects of moving charges, such as those in an electric current. Additionally, electrostatic forces only act between two charged objects, while electromagnetic forces can act between charged and uncharged objects through induction.