Arranging blocks so that they fit together

In summary, it seems that the problem involves arranging four blocks, each of different dimensions, so that they fit together perfectly in the first arrangement shown in the diagram when there are no gaps.I'm convinced that the solution is likely easily arrived at, but I am neither confident nor experienced in any in permutations and combinatorics in general.Can anyone give me an idea of where to begin?Or am I totally incorrect in approaching this problem as one involving combinatorics?Thank you very much for your help in advance.Here is one thought. First, we are not given any measurements, so we don't know if the blue and green could
thebosonbreaker
I have attached an image showing a (what I believe to be) simple problem involving arranging four blocks, each of different dimensions.
Yes, the blocks fit together perfectly in the first arrangement shown in the diagram when there are no gaps.

I'm convinced that the solution is likely easily arrived at, but I am neither confident nor experienced in any in permutations and combinatorics in general.
I believe that the answer is likely to come from the use of some sort of formula involving factorials and all that good stuff but I'm not entirely sure how.

Can anyone give me an idea of where to begin?
Or am I totally incorrect in approaching this problem as one involving combinatorics?
Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.2 KB · Views: 467
Physics news on Phys.org
Here is one thought. First, we are not given any measurements, so we don't know if the blue and green could be moved above the orange to fill in that same width.
Let's say that is not possible. So they need to stay in the same orientation. I will call the thin horizontal block, which looks Peach colored, P, then the one above it O (for orange), then B for blue and G for green.

So starting with P, you have 2 choices, O can be above it or below it. Then that 2-block group can have the on the left of it, or the right. Then next you can put [G] to the left or to the right of this group. But then there is the case of putting the green first and then choosing blue 2nd. There will be some overlap as rotation could produce duplicates. These are just some ideas to get you thinking about it, though.

Likes thebosonbreaker
scottdave said:
Here is one thought. First, we are not given any measurements, so we don't know if the blue and green could be moved above the orange to fill in that same width.
Let's say that is not possible. So they need to stay in the same orientation. I will call the thin horizontal block, which looks Peach colored, P, then the one above it O (for orange), then B for blue and G for green.

So starting with P, you have 2 choices, O can be above it or below it. Then that 2-block group can have the on the left of it, or the right. Then next you can put [G] to the left or to the right of this group. But then there is the case of putting the green first and then choosing blue 2nd. There will be some overlap as rotation could produce duplicates. These are just some ideas to get you thinking about it, though.

Yes, I have been trying to figure out the solution using this approach. I assume that B and G cannot fill in the width above O. The trouble is that I am in constant fear of missing out one (or more) of the possibilities and therefore arriving at an incorrect answer.
I am more interested in whether or not there is some sort of definitive method of deducing the number of possible arrangements using a more formulaic method.
Nevertheless, it seems simple enough to solve using the visual approach as long as everything is triple-checked.
Thanks for the input :)

thebosonbreaker said:
I am more interested in whether or not there is some sort of definitive method of deducing the number of possible arrangements using a more formulaic method.

My guess is that a formulaic method would be complicated if we are trying to find one that works for all problems "of this type". It would be a good subject for mathematical research - if someone hasn't already tackled it.

To seek a formulaic method, we should first state explicitly what information is implicitly given in the problem. For example, the problem appears to say that the long side of the green block is equal to the long side of the yellow block plus the short side of the blue block. Try representing the sides of the blocks by variables and using the implied information to state relations among them.

If rectangle is formed by putting the blocks together, the length of one side of the rectangle is a sum formed by adding some of the variables and the length of other side is formed by a second sum made according to the rule: if a one dimension of a block is included in the first sum then include the other dimension in the second sum. If no dimension of a block is included in the first sum then include one of the dimensions of the block in the second sum.

That would be a combinatorial problem, but we would have to analyze each combination to see that it formed a complete rectangle instead of figure with a gap in it.

With more blocks, we'd have to worry that some configuration of blocks might be internal to the entire assembly, so the sums for the dimensions of the assembled rectangle would not directly involve the dimensions of the internal configurations.

Related to Arranging blocks so that they fit together

1. How can I determine the best way to arrange blocks so that they fit together?

The best way to arrange blocks so that they fit together is to start by identifying the shape and size of the blocks, and then experimenting with different arrangements to see which ones fit together most efficiently. You can also use mathematical principles, such as spatial reasoning and geometry, to help you determine the best arrangement.

2. Are there any strategies or techniques that can make arranging blocks easier?

Yes, there are several strategies and techniques that can make arranging blocks easier. One common approach is to start by arranging the largest blocks first, and then filling in the gaps with smaller blocks. Another helpful technique is to use a grid or template as a guide for arranging the blocks in a structured and organized manner.

3. Can I use different types of blocks together when arranging them?

Yes, you can use different types of blocks together when arranging them. However, it is important to ensure that the blocks are compatible in terms of size and shape, and that they can fit together seamlessly. Additionally, using blocks with varying textures, colors, and patterns can add interest and complexity to the arrangement.

4. How do I ensure that the blocks are stable and will not fall over when arranged?

To ensure that the blocks are stable and will not fall over when arranged, it is important to create a solid foundation by arranging the blocks on a flat and stable surface. You can also use interlocking blocks or add support from other objects, such as a wall or table, to help keep the blocks in place. It is also helpful to evenly distribute the weight of the blocks throughout the arrangement.

5. Can arranging blocks help develop cognitive skills in children?

Yes, arranging blocks can help develop cognitive skills in children. By arranging blocks, children can improve their spatial awareness, problem-solving abilities, and fine motor skills. They can also learn about concepts such as symmetry, patterns, and balance. Additionally, arranging blocks can foster creativity and imagination in children.