Arithmetic progression question

Therefore, the sum of the first n terms of the odd series is (a1 + d) * n, and the sum of the first n terms of the even series is (a2 + 3d) * n. Since the sum of the first n even terms is more than the sum of the first n odd terms by 4n, we can set up the equation (a2 + 3d) * n = (a1 + d) * n + 4n, and solve for d. In summary, the common difference of the series Q is 4.
Michael_Light

Homework Statement

Series Q is an arithmetic series such that the sum of its first n even terms is more than the sum of its first n odd terms by 4n. Find the common difference of the series Q. The answer provided is 4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no ideas on this... Can you help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't mean the sum of the even terms, you mean the even numbered terms. The sum of the first n even numbered would be:

a2+a4+...a2n

and the odd would be

a1+a3+...a2n-1

Write both sums in terms of a1 and the unknown d and use your given equation that one is 4n larger than the other.

LCKurtz said:
You don't mean the sum of the even terms, you mean the even numbered terms. The sum of the first n even numbered would be:

a2+a4+...a2n

and the odd would be

a1+a3+...a2n-1

Write both sums in terms of a1 and the unknown d and use your given equation that one is 4n larger than the other.

I have difficulty on forming an appropriate equation to find the common difference... can you help me..?

I found it easier to define two new sequences, b, and c,
where b contains the odd-numbered terms of sequence a, and
where c contains the even-numbered terms of sequence a.

So, for sequence b:
b1 = a1
b2 = a3 = a1 + 2d
b3 = a5 = a1 + 4d
bn = a(2n-1) = ?

Then find the sum of the first n terms of sequence b. Repeat the process for sequence c. Then plug into
(sum of n terms in seq. b) + 4n = (sum of n terms in seq. c)
and solve for d.

If the common difference between terms in the original series is d, then the series of odd indexed terms and the series of even indexed terms are arithmetic series with common difference 2d.

Related to Arithmetic progression question

1. What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers where the difference between consecutive terms is constant.

2. How do you find the nth term in an arithmetic progression?

The nth term in an arithmetic progression can be found by using the formula: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

3. How do you find the sum of an arithmetic progression?

The sum of an arithmetic progression can be found by using the formula: Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the nth term.

4. What is the common difference in an arithmetic progression?

The common difference in an arithmetic progression is the constant value that is added to each term to get the next term in the sequence.

5. How is an arithmetic progression used in real life?

Arithmetic progressions are used in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the growth of populations, determining the amount of money earned over time with a fixed interest rate, or predicting the distance travelled by a moving object at constant speed.