Arithmetic progression problem

In summary, when given two members of an arithmetic progression (A and B), with a difference of 2nd between them where d is the common difference, the terms am and an can be calculated using the formulas am = (A+B)/2 and an = (2n-m)A + mB / 2n. The difference between the two terms must be even, as there are 2n terms between them.
Government$

Homework Statement

Let [itex]a_{m+n}=A[/itex] and [itex]a_{m-n}=B[/itex] be members of arithmetic progression then [itex]a_{m}[/itex] and [itex]a_{n}[/itex] are? (m>n).

The Attempt at a Solution

I fugured that [itex]a_{m}=\frac{A+B}{2}[/itex] but i have no idea what [itex]a_{n}[/itex] is.
In my textbook solution is [itex]a_{n}=\frac{(2n-m)A + mB}{2}[/itex]
How did they arrived to that solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Government$! :smile:
Government$ said:
In my textbook solution is [itex]a_{n}=\frac{(2n-m)A + mB}{2}[/itex]
How did they arrived to that solution?

an = am + (n-m)∆ :wink:

Hi,

using the fact that [itex]A-B=2dn[/itex] and plugging that into your equation and then finding
[itex]a_{n-m}[/itex] from [itex]a_{n}=\frac{A+a_{n-m}}{2}[/itex] i got solution [itex]a_{n}=\frac{(2n-m)A + mB}{2n}[/itex]. So i have one extra [itex]n[/itex] that i can't get rid of.

using the fact that A−B=2dn

How did you calculate that?

Government$ said:
Hi,

using the fact that [itex]A-B=2dn[/itex] and plugging that into your equation and then finding
[itex]a_{n-m}[/itex] from [itex]a_{n}=\frac{A+a_{n-m}}{2}[/itex] i got solution [itex]a_{n}=\frac{(2n-m)A + mB}{2n}[/itex]. So i have one extra [itex]n[/itex] that i can't get rid of.

I get the same answer you do. I think the textbook has a typo.

symbolipoint said:
How did you calculate that?

Because there are 2n terms between term (m-n) and term (m+n), which gives a difference of 2nd, where d is the common difference of the arithmetic progression. So A - B = 2nd.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
Because there are 2n terms between term (m-n) and term (m+n), which gives a difference of nd, where d is the common difference of the arithmetic progression. So A - B = 2nd.

I am beginning to understand. The difference would need to be even, since there are TWO differences involved among the m and the n terms.

Government$ said:
Hi,

[itex]\displaystyle a_{n}=\frac{(2n-m)A + mB}{2n}\ \ [/itex] looks right to me.

Try some examples to verify it.

symbolipoint said:
I am beginning to understand. The difference would need to be even, since there are TWO differences involved among the m and the n terms.

Sorry, I just noticed a typo in my post (since edited and corrected). I meant that since there are 2n terms between the two terms, the difference is 2nd.

There is only one common difference d in an arithmetic progression.

Thanks for help, everybody.

Related to Arithmetic progression problem

1. What is an arithmetic progression?

An arithmetic progression is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by adding a fixed number to the previous term. This fixed number is called the common difference, denoted by "d".

2. How do you find the common difference in an arithmetic progression?

The common difference in an arithmetic progression can be found by subtracting any term in the sequence from the previous term. This will give you the same value for "d" throughout the progression.

3. What is the formula for the nth term in an arithmetic progression?

The formula for the nth term in an arithmetic progression is: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

4. How do you find the sum of an arithmetic progression?

The sum of an arithmetic progression can be found using the formula: Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum, n is the number of terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the last term.

5. What is the difference between an arithmetic progression and a geometric progression?

An arithmetic progression has a common difference between each term, while a geometric progression has a common ratio between each term. In an arithmetic progression, the difference between each term stays constant, while in a geometric progression, the ratio between each term stays constant.