Arfken, parity operation on a point in polar coordinates

In summary, the parity operation on a point in cylindrical polar coordinates consists of the transformation: \rho \to \rho, \varphi \to \varphi \pm \pi, z \to -z, and the unit vectors of the cylindrical polar coordinate system have odd parity for \hat{e}_{\rho} and \hat{e}_{\phi}, while \hat{e}_{z} has even parity.
Clever-Name

Homework Statement

Show that the parity operation (reflection through the origin) on a point [itex] (\rho, \varphi, z) [/itex] relative to fixed (x, y, z) axes consists of the transformation:
[tex] \rho \to \rho [/tex]
[tex] \varphi \to \varphi \pm \pi [/tex]
[tex] z \to -z [/tex]

Also, show that the unit vectors of the cylindrical polar coordinate system [itex] \hat{e}_{\rho} [/itex] and [itex] \hat{e}_{\phi} [/itex] have odd parity while [itex] \hat{e}_{z} [/itex] has even parity

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

All I know about Parity is it's definition. I know that for a vector (x,y,z) if you apply the parity operator you get (-x,-y,-z). So I thought maybe if you take the coordinates [itex] (\rho, \varphi, z) [/itex] and write it as:
[tex] \rho = \sqrt{x^{2} + y^{2}} [/tex]
[tex] \varphi = arctan(\frac{y}{x}) [/tex]
[tex] z = z [/tex]

And apply what I know about Parity I would get:

[tex] \rho' = \sqrt{(-x)^{2} + (-y)^{2}} = \rho [/tex]
[tex] \varphi' = arctan(\frac{-y}{-x}) = \arctan(\frac{y}{x}) = \varphi [/tex]
[tex] z' = -z [/tex]

Now I realize the definition of [itex] \varphi [/itex] depends on the x and y values, so I suppose I could reason that it should be [itex] \varphi \pm \pi [/itex] based on that, but I'm uncomfortable just outright stating it. I feel like there should be more to it.I haven't attempted the last part yet.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show that those transformations cause x ➝ -x, y ➝ -y, and z ➝ -z.

I'm not sure I follow...

For [itex] z \to -z [/itex] it's obvious.

For [itex] \rho \to \rho [/itex] there is no restriction on the sign of x or y so I supposed this could imply [itex] x \to -x [/itex] and [itex] y \to -y [/itex] but I'm not sure how I could definitively state that.

and for [itex] \phi \to \phi \pm \pi [/itex] I'm completely lost as to how to approach it.

edit - for [itex] \phi [/itex] would it be appropriate to look at the angle in the 4 quadrants and add/subtract pi to see how this changes the x and y value according to quadrant?

I meant use the inverse transformations, where x and y are written in terms of ρ and Φ. You avoid the complication that's introduced because tangent has period of only pi, as opposed to 2pi.

Ok so if

[itex] x = \rho cos(\phi) [/itex]
and
[itex] y = \rho sin(\phi) [/itex]

and we take [itex] \phi \to \phi + \pi [/itex]
we get
[itex] x = \rho cos(\phi + \pi) = \rho (-cos(\phi)) = -x [/itex]
and
[itex] y = \rho sin(\phi + \pi) = \rho (-sin(\phi)) = -y [/itex]

and the same follows for negative pi.

This is a sufficient way to answer the problem? To 'work backwards' in a sense?

Yeah. You're showing that that change does in fact change r to -r, which is all the problem asked you to do.

Oh alright, perfect, thank you. Now the last part should then fall out as follows:

Since the unit vectors are defined as:

[tex] \hat{e}_{\rho} = [cos(\phi), sin(\phi), 0] [/tex]
[tex] \hat{e}_{\phi} = [-sin(\phi), cos(\phi), 0] [/tex]
[tex] \hat{e}_{z} = [0,0,1] [/tex]

Applying the operation [itex] \phi \to \phi \pm \pi [/itex] gives us:
[tex] \hat{e}_{\rho} = [cos(\phi), sin(\phi), 0] \to [-cos(\phi), -sin(\phi), 0] = -\hat{e}_{\rho} [/tex]
[tex] \hat{e}_{\phi} = [-sin(\phi), cos(\phi), 0] \to [sin(\phi), -cos(\phi), 0] = -\hat{e}_{\phi} [/tex]
[tex] \hat{e}_{z} = [0,0,1] \to [0, 0, 1] = \hat{e}_{z} [/tex]

Since the z unit vector didn't change it has even parity, and since the other 2 changed in sign they have odd parity.

I just wanted to post the rest of the solution for anyone else who might come across this problem.

Related to Arfken, parity operation on a point in polar coordinates

1. What is a parity operation on a point in polar coordinates?

A parity operation on a point in polar coordinates is a transformation that switches the sign of one of the coordinate variables while leaving the other unchanged. In other words, it reflects the point across the origin in either the radial or angular direction.

2. Why is the parity operation important in polar coordinates?

The parity operation is important in polar coordinates because it allows us to easily identify symmetries in the system. It also plays a crucial role in solving problems involving polar coordinates, such as in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

3. How is the parity operation represented mathematically in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the parity operation is represented by the transformation (r, θ) → (-r, θ) or (r, θ) → (r, -θ), depending on which coordinate variable is being reflected. This can also be expressed as a matrix multiplication using the appropriate transformation matrix.

4. What are the consequences of applying a parity operation on a function in polar coordinates?

Applying a parity operation on a function in polar coordinates can result in a change in the symmetry of the function. For example, a function that was previously symmetric about the origin may become antisymmetric after a parity operation is applied.

5. How does the parity operation affect physical quantities in polar coordinates?

The parity operation can affect physical quantities in polar coordinates by changing their sign or direction. This can have significant implications in fields such as physics and engineering, where understanding symmetries and transformations is crucial for accurately describing and predicting physical phenomena.