Area Under Curve: Finding the Missing Area

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area Curve
In summary, the conversation discusses the area between the curve $f(x)=x\cdot ln^{2}(x)-x$ and the x-axis. The solution provided suggests the area to be approximately 1.95, but the person has a problem with it as they cannot understand where the area between 0 and 1/e has gone. The solution is shown to be wrong as the area between 0 and 1/e cannot be ignored and it is not bounded by the curve. The correct integration and solution is provided, which yields an answer of approximately -1.95 units squared.
Yankel
Hello,

I am looking for the area between

\[f(x)=x\cdot ln^{2}(x)-x\]

and the x-axis.

I have a solution in hand, it suggests that the area is:

\[\int_{\frac{1}{e}}^{e}(x-x\cdot ln^{2}(x))dx\approx 1.95\]

I have a problem with this solution, I don't understand where the area between 0 and 1/e had gone to...

I plotted the function in maple, and an area is appearing very clearly (see photo).

View attachment 2029

So my question: Do you think like me, that the solution attached to this exercise is wrong? If not, where does this area gone to ?

thanks !

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.4 KB · Views: 57
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the domain of the given curve?

x>0 ?

Yankel said:
x>0 ?

Yes, and so even though we may state (and you may want to verify this with L'Hôpital's Rule):

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to0}f(x)=0\)

Can we say that the point $(0,0)$ is actually on the curve?

(0,0) is not on the curve, I know. But what about the area from 0 to 1\e ? I can't ignore it because 0 is not on the graph.

If the origin is not on the curve, then can we say that area to which you refer is truly bounded?

A-ha, now I understand what you say...
Didnt see it coming.
Thanks ! Great help.

Yankel said:
Hello,

I am looking for the area between

\[f(x)=x\cdot ln^{2}(x)-x\]

and the x-axis.

I have a solution in hand, it suggests that the area is:

\[\int_{\frac{1}{e}}^{e}(x-x\cdot ln^{2}(x))dx\approx 1.95\]

I have a problem with this solution, I don't understand where the area between 0 and 1/e had gone to...

I plotted the function in maple, and an area is appearing very clearly (see photo).

View attachment 2029

So my question: Do you think like me, that the solution attached to this exercise is wrong? If not, where does this area gone to ?

thanks !

Mark is correct that the only bounded area is where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{e} \leq x \leq e \end{align*}$. Notice that this region is BELOW the x axis, so you will get a negative answer. But since you are asked for the AREA, you must give the absolute value of this amount (as areas, being a physical quantity, are always nonnegative).

Now as for the actual integration...

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_{\frac{1}{e}}^e{x\left[ \ln{(x)} \right] ^2 - x \, dx } &= \int_{\frac{1}{e}}^e{x\left\{ \left[ \ln{(x)} \right] ^2 - 1 \right\} \, dx } \\ &= \int_{\frac{1}{e}}^e{\frac{x^2 \left\{ \left[ \ln{(x)} \right] ^2 - 1 \right\} }{x}\, dx} \end{align*}$

Now make the substitution $\displaystyle \begin{align*} t = \ln{(x)} \implies dt = \frac{1}{x}\,dx \end{align*}$, and note that when $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = \frac{1}{e}, t = -1 \end{align*}$ and when $\displaystyle \begin{align*} x = e, t = 1 \end{align*}$, the integral becomes

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_{\frac{1}{e}}^e{\frac{x^2 \left\{ \left[ \ln{(x)} \right] ^2 - 1 \right\} }{x}\,dx} &= \int_{-1}^1{ \left( e^t \right) ^2 \left( t^2 - 1 \right) \, dt } \\ &= \int_{-1}^1{e^{2t} \left( t^2 - 1 \right) \, dt } \end{align*}$

Now applying integration by parts with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = t^2 - 1 \implies du = 2t\,dt \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} dv = e^{2t} \, dt \implies v = \frac{1}{2}e^{2t} \end{align*}$ we have

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ e^{2t} \left( t^2 - 1 \right) \, dt} &= \frac{1}{2} e^{2t} \left( t^2 - 1 \right) - \int{t\,e^{2t}\,dt} \end{align*}$

and applying integration by parts again with $\displaystyle \begin{align*} u = t \implies du = dt \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} dv = e^{2t} \, dt \implies v = \frac{1}{2} e^{2t} \end{align*}$ and we have

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{2}e^{2t} \left( t^2 - 1 \right) - \int{t\,e^{2t}\,dt} &= \frac{1}{2}e^{2t} \left( t^2 - 1 \right) - \left( \frac{1}{2}t\,e^{2t} - \int{\frac{1}{2} e^{2t}\, dt} \right) \\ &= \frac{1}{2} e^{2t} \left( t^2 - 1 \right) - \frac{1}{2} t\, e^{2t} + \frac{1}{2} \int{ e^{2t} \, dt} \\ &= \frac{1}{2}e^{2t} \left( t^2 - 1 \right) - \frac{1}{2} t\, e^{2t} + \frac{1}{4}e^{2t} + C \\ &= \frac{1}{2} e^{2t} \left( t^2 - 1 - t + \frac{1}{2} \right) + C \\ &= \frac{1}{2} e^{2t} \left( t^2 - t - \frac{1}{2} \right) + C \end{align*}$

and so evaluating the definite integral we have

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int_{-1}^1{e^{2t} \left( t^2 - 1 \right) \, dt} &= \frac{1}{2} \left[ e^{2t} \left( t^2 - t - \frac{1}{2} \right) \right] _{-1}^1 \\ &= \frac{1}{2} \left( -\frac{1}{2}e^2 - \frac{3}{2}e^{-2} \right) \\ &= -\frac{1}{4} \left( e^2 + 3e^{-2} \right) \\ &\approx. -1.95 \end{align*}$

So the area you are looking for is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} -\frac{1}{4} \left( e^2 + 3e^{-2} \right) \,\textrm{units}^2 \approx 1.95 \, \textrm{units}^2 \end{align*}$.

Related to Area Under Curve: Finding the Missing Area

What is the concept of area under curve?

The area under a curve is the total area between a curve and the x-axis on a graph. It represents the sum of all the values within a given range and can be used to measure the magnitude or quantity of a certain phenomenon.

Why is finding the missing area important?

Finding the missing area under a curve is important because it provides a more accurate representation of the data being analyzed. It can also help in making predictions and drawing conclusions about the data.

What are some real-life applications of finding the area under a curve?

Finding the area under a curve is commonly used in various fields such as physics, economics, engineering, and finance. It can be used to calculate the work done by a force, the total revenue or profit of a company, the amount of material needed for a construction project, and the growth rate of a population, among others.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral is used to find the exact area under a curve between two specific points. It gives a numerical value as the result. On the other hand, an indefinite integral is a function that represents the area under a curve and gives a family of curves as the result.

What are some methods for finding the missing area under a curve?

There are several methods for finding the missing area under a curve, such as the Riemann sum, trapezoidal rule, and Simpson's rule. These methods involve dividing the area into smaller, simpler shapes and using mathematical formulas to calculate their areas and then summing them up to get the total area under the curve.