Centre of the Universe: Finding Our Place in Space

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: Yes, there are some scientists who believe that the universe is finite, but the majority of physicists still believe that it is infinite.
jimmy p
Gold Member
Following a thread that was started a while back about the universe, I've just been thinking. If the universe is infinite, how is it that scientists know how far away from the centre of the universe we are?

I ask annoying (and probably basic) questions at the moment because I am trying to build universal knowledge for the course i want to do at uni (university of Reading (pron. Redding) - Physics and the universe) so u have to help me! lol...well not have to but any help would be amazing!

thanx

Jimmy

Astronomy news on Phys.org
how is it that scientists know how far away from the centre of the universe we are?
Where did you get the idea that the universe has a center?

Because physicists are actually thinking the universe is finite.

Where did you get the idea that the universe has a center?
Interesting. Thinking the universe is an irregular shape?

how is it that scientists know how far away from the centre of the universe we are?

It is impossible to define a center of the universe under the current theories. So as far as I know we do not know how far from the center of the universe we are. Arguments could be made for being at the center, since any point could be considered the center.

You are not thinking about our postion in the galaxy are you?

So now physicists think the universe is finite? a month ago i was told it was more accepted as infinite. ARGH! :frown:

No i remember asking where we were in the universe to my physics teacher a year or two ago and he drew a circle on the board and said that the milky way was somewhere quite off centre.

Last edited:
Is thought that universe is *probably* infinite, but due to the Copernican cosmological principle, observation and current theory it is thought that the universe has no centre whether it is infiite or finite. If we were to abandon the Coperincan cosmological principle and a lot of current theory the centre would be pretty much where we are now, perhaps the teacher was referring to the Milky way's place in some larger structure like our local group, etc.

AFAIK, the majority of cosmologists still believe that the universe is infinite (or at least boundless) and that there is no center or edge to 3D space.

I don't think that recent news story about a finite universe structure has been accepted by the mainstream yet.

What is the Centre of the Universe?

The Centre of the Universe is a concept that has been debated by scientists and philosophers for centuries. It refers to the hypothetical point in space from which all matter and energy originated.

Are we at the Centre of the Universe?

There is no definitive answer to this question. Some theories suggest that the Earth is at the Centre of the Universe, while others propose that there is no single point that can be considered the Centre. It ultimately depends on one's perspective and the theories they subscribe to.

How do scientists determine the Centre of the Universe?

Scientists use various methods, such as studying the cosmic microwave background radiation and mapping the distribution of galaxies, to understand the structure and expansion of the Universe. These studies have led to the development of theories like the Big Bang, which suggest that the Universe began at a single point and has been expanding ever since.

Why is finding our place in space important?

Understanding our place in space allows us to gain a deeper understanding of the Universe and our origins. It also helps us to appreciate the vastness and complexity of the Universe and our place within it.

Will we ever truly know the Centre of the Universe?

As the Universe is constantly expanding and evolving, it is unlikely that we will ever have a definitive answer to this question. However, through continued scientific research and advancements in technology, we can continue to gain a better understanding of the Universe and our place within it.