Area of Triangle: Find Points A, B, & C

In summary, the author suggests that there is no better way to find the area of a triangle than by using the vector cross product.
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the area of triangle formed by the points ##A(5,2)## , ##B(4,7)## , ##C(7,-4)##

Homework Equations

Nah

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there any better way than finding the angle between lines and their lengths and then the area?

Physics news on Phys.org
adjacent said:

Homework Statement

Find the area of triangle formed by the points ##A(5,2)## , ##B(4,7)## , ##C(7,-4)##

Homework Equations

Nah

Is there any better way than finding the angle between lines and their lengths and then the area?

That method sounds pretty tedious.

You can treat the triangle as a polygon with three sides. This article has a neat formula for finding the areas of polygons knowing only the coordinates of the vertices:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygon

Some words of caution:
1. the polygon must be traversed counterclockwise w.r.t. the origin to accumulate positive area.
2. the polygon must be closed, which implies that P1 = Pn, where Pk represents the coordinates of the kth vertex of the polygon.

Is it this formula?
8d64107d0fb21e10f9d2fc2931f4f280.png

adjacent said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Nah

You could find the area via the vector cross product.

[itex]A = \frac{1}{2}|\vec{AB} \times \vec{AC}|[/itex]

BOAS said:
You could find the area via the vector cross product.

[itex]A = \frac{1}{2}|\vec{AB} \times \vec{AC}|[/itex]
Oh. I haven't studied vector products yet. It's ##\frac{1}{2} AB \times AC \times \sin(\theta)## right?

Last edited:
adjacent said:
Oh. I haven't studied vector products yet. It's ##\frac{1}{2} AB \times AC \times \sin(\theta)## right?

##\frac{1}{2}|\vec{AB} \times \vec{AC}|## means to take the vector product of the two vectors, find the magnitude of the resultant vector (which gives the area of a parallelogram) and then multiply by 0.5 to get the area of a triangle.

In order to take the vector product you use a 'determinant' - Though you don't need to have studied matrices in order to perform this operation.

This page explains it better than I can;

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CrossProduct.html

adjacent said:
Is it this formula?

Yes, that's the one.

adjacent said:
Yes, ##\ \frac{1}{2}|\vec{AB} \times \vec{AC}|=\frac{1}{2}\cdot |AB|\cdot |AC|\cdot \sin(\theta)\ .##

But doing the vector product using components, as suggested by BOAS eliminates the need to determine θ. In fact doing the vector product, or scalar product for that matter, via components allows you to determine θ.

I will have to study advanced vectors then. When will it be covered?

adjacent said:
Is it this formula?

Alternatively, you could use Heron's formula, which states that for a triangle with sides ##a, b, c## the area ##A## is given by
[tex] A = \sqrt{s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)},\: \text{ where } \: s = \frac{a+b+c}{2} [/tex]
See, eg., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heron's_formula .

Do you know about evaluating determinants? If so, there's a formula you might have seen.

Or maybe, does the following look familiar?
$$\frac{1}{2}\left|x_1(y_2-y_3)+x_2(y_3-y_1)+x_3(y_1-y_2)\right|$$

Pranav-Arora said:
Do you know about evaluating determinants? If so, there's a formula you might have seen.

Or maybe, does the following look familiar?
$$\frac{1}{2}\left|x_1(y_2-y_3)+x_2(y_3-y_1)+x_3(y_1-y_2)\right|$$
Is that some kind of determinant? Can you write that in the matrix form(If it has a matrix form)?

adjacent said:
Is that some kind of determinant?

I am not sure what you ask here. Did you comment on the formula I wrote?

The formula in the determinant form is:
$$\frac{1}{2}
\begin{vmatrix}
x_1 & y_1 & 1 \\
x_2 & y_2 & 1 \\
x_3 & y_3 & 1 \\
\end{vmatrix}$$

Pranav-Arora said:
I am not sure what you ask here. Did you comment on the formula I wrote?

The formula in the determinant form is:
$$\frac{1}{2}
\begin{vmatrix}
x_1 & y_1 & 1 \\
x_2 & y_2 & 1 \\
x_3 & y_3 & 1 \\
\end{vmatrix}$$
OMG, what is that? I have only studied to find the determinant of a 2x2 matrix
$$\begin{matrix}
a && b \\
c && d\\
\end{matrix}$$
Determinant is ad-bc

adjacent said:
OMG, what is that? I have only studied to find the determinant of a 2x2 matrix

Evaluating 3X3 determinants is very similar to 2X2 ones. You should look it up.

Pranav-Arora said:
Evaluating 3X3 determinants is very similar to 2X2 ones. You should look it up.

Why do we need a 3x3 matrix for calculating the area?

If you know about direction cosines, you can just use the standard area formula without any of this fancy trickery.

Oh sorry, the question was, is there a better way? Not really, this is a very good way. But determinants are equally good, and a 2x2 can be used. There was a recent thread about this: here.

All I can say is, learn more linear algebra to use that method.

Last edited:
I'll add, these are linear algebra topics, usually that is not precalculus math and therefore I recommend that people use the standard formula, or of course they can learn in advance to use something more advanced.

Related to Area of Triangle: Find Points A, B, & C

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = (1/2)bh, where A is the area, b is the base, and h is the height of the triangle.

2. How do you find the points A, B, and C of a triangle?

The points A, B, and C of a triangle can be found by using the coordinates given for the vertices of the triangle. Point A is the x-coordinate of the first vertex, point B is the x-coordinate of the second vertex, and point C is the x-coordinate of the third vertex.

3. Can you find the area of a triangle if you only have two points?

No, you need at least three points to find the area of a triangle. This is because the third point is necessary to determine the height of the triangle.

4. Is the area of a triangle affected by the order in which the points are given?

No, the area of a triangle will remain the same regardless of the order in which the points are given. This is because the formula for finding the area of a triangle only requires the base and height, which are both constant for a given triangle.

5. How do you know if you have calculated the area of a triangle correctly?

To ensure that you have calculated the area of a triangle correctly, you can use the formula A = (1/2)bh and plug in the values for the base and height. You can also check your work by using a different method, such as using trigonometric functions or the Heron's formula, and comparing the results.